US prepares potential Iran strikes while diplomatic talks continue

Iran is dying to make a deal. We'll see what happens.
Trump on Friday, as the administration prepared for possible strikes while diplomacy continued.

In the uneasy space between diplomacy and war, the Trump administration held its Memorial Day weekend in suspension — canceling leisure, updating strike rosters, and delivering what it called a final offer to Tehran. Three months after a fragile ceasefire, the United States and Iran find themselves once again at the edge of a familiar precipice: each side armed with ultimatums, each unwilling to be the first to yield. History has seen this posture before, and it knows how thin the line is between a negotiating table and a theater of war.

  • Trump scrapped his holiday retreat to remain at the White House as the Pentagon quietly updated strike rosters and reshuffled troop rotations across the Middle East.
  • Washington handed Tehran a final proposal on Wednesday with an unambiguous warning: refuse, and the bombs return — a message the IRGC answered with threats of 'crushing blows in places you cannot even imagine.'
  • Both governments are simultaneously preparing for war and reaching for a deal, a dangerous dual posture that leaves global energy markets and regional allies bracing for the next move.
  • Trump gave Iran 'a couple of days' to respond, calling their negotiators impressive while insisting his redlines — no nuclear weapons, no enriched uranium — are immovable.
  • The three-month ceasefire that began in early April has held in form but not in spirit, and the window for a negotiated exit is narrowing with each passing hour.

Donald Trump canceled his Memorial Day golf weekend and stayed at the White House, citing vague 'circumstances pertaining to Government.' Behind that formulation was something more concrete: the administration was quietly preparing for the possibility of renewed military strikes against Iran, even as diplomats on both sides continued searching for a way out.

The preparations were visible. Defense and intelligence agencies updated recall rosters at American installations across the Middle East and adjusted troop rotations — keeping forces ready to strike while simultaneously trimming the overall footprint in case Iran hit back. No final decision had been made as of Friday, but the administration had already delivered what it called a final proposal to Tehran on Wednesday, warning that rejection would mean a return to military action.

White House spokesperson Anna Kelly made the administration's position plain: Trump's redlines were fixed — Iran could not possess nuclear weapons or retain enriched uranium — and 'all options' remained on the table. Iran's IRGC responded in kind, warning that any new American or Israeli strikes would widen the conflict dramatically, promising 'crushing blows' in unspecified locations.

Tehran was reviewing the proposal. Trump said Iran was 'dying to make a deal' and that his team was 'pretty impressed' by their negotiators, but he gave them only a couple of days to respond. The ceasefire that had held since early April had calmed energy markets somewhat, but the underlying dispute remained unresolved.

What made the moment so volatile was its structural logic: the United States held military superiority and the will to use it; Iran held regional proxies and the capacity for asymmetric retaliation. Neither side could retreat without losing face. Both had drawn lines. And both were preparing, quietly and in parallel, for the possibility that the words would run out.

Donald Trump canceled his Memorial Day weekend at his New Jersey golf club. Instead, he would remain at the White House. The reason, he said in a social media post, involved "circumstances pertaining to Government"—a notably vague formulation that masked a more concrete reality: the Trump administration was preparing for the possibility of renewed military strikes against Iran, even as diplomats in Washington and Tehran continued talking about a way out of the conflict.

The preparations were real and visible. CBS News reported that military and intelligence officials had begun canceling their own weekend plans. Defense and intelligence agencies were updating recall rosters for American installations across the Middle East and adjusting troop rotations in the region. The moves reflected a dual strategy: keep forces ready to strike on short notice, while simultaneously reducing the overall American military footprint in case Iran retaliated. It was the posture of a government hedging its bets.

No final decision to attack had been made as of Friday afternoon, according to the reporting. But the administration had already delivered what it was calling a final proposal to Tehran on Wednesday, accompanied by a stark warning: reject this offer and military action would resume. The proposal itself remained undisclosed, but its purpose was clear—to end a conflict that had now stretched nearly three months, ever since a temporary ceasefire began in early April. That ceasefire had held, but barely, and the underlying tensions had never truly subsided.

White House spokesperson Anna Kelly laid out the administration's position with the kind of clarity that leaves little room for misinterpretation. Trump's redlines were fixed: Iran could never possess nuclear weapons, and it could not retain enriched uranium. "The President always maintains all options at all times," Kelly said, a formulation that in diplomatic language means military action remains on the table. She added that Trump had been explicit about the consequences of a failed negotiation. The message was not subtle.

Iran's response came through its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, which issued its own warning on Wednesday. Any new American or Israeli strikes, the IRGC said, would significantly widen the conflict. The threat was specific in its vagueness: "crushing blows" would come "in places you cannot even imagine." Tehran, meanwhile, was reviewing the American proposal. According to sources cited by CBS News, Iran was eager to reach a deal—Trump himself said as much on Friday, remarking that "Iran is dying to make a deal." But he also made clear that Washington would demand strong assurances before any agreement could hold.

The standoff had already rattled global energy markets. A nearly three-month conflict in one of the world's most strategically important regions naturally unsettles oil prices and fuel costs. The temporary ceasefire had provided some relief, but the underlying dispute remained unresolved. Trump said he was prepared to give Tehran "a couple of days" to respond to the latest proposal. He also offered a small compliment: his administration was "pretty impressed" by Iran's negotiators. But impressiveness and agreement are not the same thing, and the clock was running.

What hung over the moment was the fundamental asymmetry of the situation. The United States had military superiority and was willing to use it. Iran had regional allies, proxy forces, and the ability to inflict pain through unconventional means. Neither side could afford to back down without losing face. Both had drawn lines in the sand. And both were preparing for the possibility that words would fail and force would resume.

The President always maintains all options at all times, and it is the job of the Pentagon to be ready to execute any decision the Commander-in-Chief could make.
— White House spokesperson Anna Kelly
Iran is dying to make a deal. We'll see what happens.
— President Trump
The Hearth Conversation Another angle on the story
Inventor

Why would Trump cancel his weekend plans if no decision to strike has been made?

Model

Because in this kind of standoff, being ready is itself a form of communication. The administration is signaling that it's serious, that it won't be caught flat-footed. The optics matter as much as the logistics.

Inventor

But doesn't preparing for strikes while negotiating undermine the diplomatic effort?

Model

Not necessarily. Both sides do this. You negotiate from a position of strength. If Iran thinks the US is bluffing, the talks collapse. If Iran thinks the threat is real, there's pressure to make a deal.

Inventor

What does "circumstances pertaining to Government" actually mean?

Model

It's a way of saying something serious is happening without saying what it is. It keeps the public in the dark while signaling to insiders that this is not routine.

Inventor

Why would the IRGC threaten "crushing blows in places you cannot even imagine"?

Model

Because they can't match American firepower directly. So they're suggesting they have asymmetric options—proxies, cyber attacks, regional operations. It's a threat designed to make escalation seem costly.

Inventor

Is there any chance this actually ends in a deal?

Model

Trump said Iran is "dying to make a deal." That suggests there's room. But both sides have drawn hard lines on nuclear weapons and enriched uranium. Those aren't easy to compromise on. The next few days will tell.

Contact Us FAQ