That's not the plan, the CEO said simply.
In the weeks before a highly anticipated release, rumors have a way of filling the silence left by official silence — and Grand Theft Auto 6 proved no exception. A claim originating from a Polish gaming site suggested Rockstar would stagger its physical and digital launches to guard against leaks, a story plausible enough to travel far across social media before Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick, speaking during the company's Q3 earnings announcement, dismissed it plainly: 'That's not the plan.' It is a small but telling moment in the modern media cycle, where unverified speculation can achieve near-consensus before the people with actual knowledge have said a word.
- A January rumor claimed Rockstar would delay physical GTA 6 copies to prevent pre-launch leaks, and the story spread rapidly across Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook before anyone could confirm it.
- The claim carried just enough internal logic — a real leak problem, a plausible corporate response — to make it feel credible, even as no verified source ever backed it up.
- Kotaku could not confirm the rumor through its own sources, and the underlying premise was shaky: digital pre-loads have historically been just as vulnerable to leaks, as GTA V itself demonstrated over a decade ago.
- Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick officially killed the story during the company's Q3 earnings call, confirming that GTA 6 will launch simultaneously in both digital and physical formats, as is standard industry practice.
- With the denial on record, the speculation should dissolve — leaving fans free to redirect their energy toward trailer analysis, character debates, and other pre-release rituals as the fall 2025 window approaches.
Since January, a rumor had been making the rounds across gaming communities: Rockstar Games was allegedly planning to release Grand Theft Auto 6 digitally first, holding physical copies back to reduce the risk of early leaks. The claim, originating from a Polish website citing an unnamed insider, spread quickly through Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook, and was picked up by outlets like Dexerto. It had the texture of plausibility — a real concern about leaks, a drastic but imaginable corporate solution.
But the story never found solid footing. Kotaku could not verify it through its own sources, and the logic behind it had a notable flaw: digital releases have leaked before, sometimes through pre-load builds. GTA V itself leaked that way more than a decade ago, which suggested that splitting the launch window wouldn't necessarily solve the problem it was meant to address.
The matter was settled Tuesday when Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick, speaking during the company's Q3 fiscal results announcement, addressed the rumor directly in a single sentence to Variety: 'That's not the plan.' Grand Theft Auto 6 will arrive in fall 2025 with both digital and physical versions launching simultaneously — standard practice for a major release. Fans can now set aside the leak-prevention speculation and return to the more familiar pre-release pursuits: combing trailers for hidden details and debating every visible pixel of the game's world.
A rumor that had been circulating online since January claimed Rockstar Games was planning something unusual to protect Grand Theft Auto 6 from leaks before launch: releasing the game digitally first, then holding back physical copies for a later date. The story spread quickly across Reddit, Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook, picked up by gaming outlets like Dexerto, and seemed plausible enough on its surface—a company worried about early spoilers taking drastic measures. But on Tuesday, as Take-Two Interactive announced its third-quarter financial results, CEO Strauss Zelnick put the matter to rest with a single sentence to Variety: "That's not the plan."
The rumor had originated in January from a Polish website claiming to have heard from a Rockstar insider that the company was considering splitting the physical and digital launches. The supposed logic was straightforward: keep the physical copies off shelves longer, and you reduce the risk of someone breaking street date and leaking the game early. It was the kind of claim that sounded just credible enough—a real problem seeking a real solution—that it gained traction across gaming communities.
Yet the rumor never held up under scrutiny. Kotaku was unable to verify the claim with any of its sources, and the premise itself didn't withstand much examination. Digital games have leaked before, sometimes through pre-load builds made available to players before official launch. Grand Theft Auto V itself leaked this way more than a decade ago, suggesting that splitting the release window wouldn't necessarily solve the leak problem Rockstar was supposedly trying to prevent.
With Zelnick's official statement, the speculation should end. Grand Theft Auto 6 will launch with both digital and physical versions available simultaneously, as is standard practice in the industry. The game is scheduled to arrive in fall 2025, and fans can now return their attention to the usual pre-release obsessions: analyzing trailer footage for hidden details, debating the finer points of character design, and calculating the precise sun protection factor of an NPC's sunscreen through elaborate mathematical frameworks applied to screenshots.
Notable Quotes
That's not the plan.— Strauss Zelnick, Take-Two CEO, to Variety
The Hearth Conversation Another angle on the story
Why would a rumor like this even gain traction? It seems like a pretty wild claim.
Because it taps into something real—the genuine problem of leaks. Rockstar has dealt with them before, and GTA 6 is such a massive release that any story about protecting it sounds plausible.
But the rumor didn't make logical sense, right? Digital games leak too.
Exactly. GTA V leaked via pre-load over a decade ago. So the whole premise—that delaying physical copies would prevent leaks—was flawed from the start. But once something spreads on social media, logic doesn't always matter.
How did it spread so fast if it came from just one Polish website?
One site reports it, a few gaming outlets pick it up, then Reddit and Twitter amplify it. Before you know it, thousands of people are discussing it as if it's confirmed fact. Zelnick's statement was basically the only way to kill it.
Do you think Rockstar was even aware of the rumor before the CEO's denial?
Almost certainly. When something spreads that widely across gaming communities, the company knows about it. The official denial was probably planned to address it head-on during the earnings call.