Jaguaré residents protest as hotel contracts end without housing solutions

Two people killed in the explosion; dozens of families displaced without confirmed permanent housing solutions, facing potential homelessness after emergency hotel contracts ended.
Every hour it's a different answer
A resident expressing frustration over inconsistent information from authorities about permanent housing solutions.

Eleven days after a gas explosion reduced their homes to rubble in São Paulo's Jaguaré neighborhood, some sixty displaced residents found themselves facing a second rupture — not of pipes, but of promises. On May 22, the emergency hotel contracts funded by the utilities responsible for the blast simply expired, and families were told to leave with nowhere to go. Their protest on Avenida Presidente Altino was not merely a demand for shelter, but a reckoning with the distance between institutional response and human need — between a list of options and a place to belong.

  • Sixty displaced residents blocked a major São Paulo avenue and lit fires in the street after being told that same morning to vacate the hotels that had housed them since a deadly gas explosion on May 11.
  • The emergency accommodation — funded by Sabesp and Comgás, the utilities whose construction work triggered the blast — ended without extension or advance notice, leaving families scrambling with nowhere confirmed to go.
  • One resident, Edinaldo, was directed to a hotel in Osasco only to find no reservation waiting for him, forcing him to return to Jaguaré with his family, two dogs, and salvaged clothing and no place to sleep.
  • Authorities offered CDHU apartments, credit letters, or R$800 monthly rental aid, but residents reported receiving contradictory information from different officials at different times, deepening distrust.
  • After community leaders met with Sabesp, prosecutors, and police, an informal promise was made that families could return to the hotels — but no permanent, signed solution was in place by nightfall.

On a Friday afternoon in São Paulo's Jaguaré neighborhood, about sixty people blocked Avenida Presidente Altino, setting fires in the street. They had been told that morning to leave the hotels where they had been living since May 11 — the day a gas explosion, caused when Sabesp struck a Comgás line during construction, killed two people and left their community looking, as residents described it, like a war zone.

The emergency hotel arrangement had been funded by the two utilities as an immediate response to the disaster. But on May 22, the contract simply ended. No extension, no warning beyond what families received that morning. Caroline Rodrigues, who lost her home in the blast, stood in the street explaining it plainly: the contract ran out, the hotels stopped being paid, and people were asked to leave. Weeks of waiting for a clear answer had produced nothing.

The government offered options — CDHU furnished apartments, credit letters for property purchases, or R$800 a month in rental assistance. But residents heard different things from different officials, and the inconsistency eroded confidence. Edinaldo was told he would be transferred to a hotel in Osasco; when he arrived, the staff had no record of him. He returned to Jaguaré with his family, two dogs, and whatever he had managed to salvage.

At the protest, Luciano Melo demanded a concrete answer. "Every hour it's a different answer," he said. Many families weren't simply seeking housing — they were resisting displacement from the neighborhood itself. They wanted to return to Jaguaré, not be relocated elsewhere.

By evening, community leaders emerged from talks with Sabesp, the public prosecutor's office, and police carrying an informal assurance: families could return to the hotels, no one would sleep on the street that night. The government reported that twenty families had accepted CDHU apartments and six had taken credit letters. But for those still waiting, still uncertain, the numbers offered little comfort. What remained unresolved was the only thing that truly mattered — a permanent place to call home.

On Friday afternoon, about sixty people blocked Avenida Presidente Altino in São Paulo's Jaguaré neighborhood, setting fires in the street and bringing traffic to a halt. They were there because they had been told, that same day, to leave the hotels where they had been living since May 11—the day a gas explosion tore through their community and killed two people.

The explosion happened when Sabesp, the city's water utility, struck a Comgás gas line during construction work. The blast damaged dozens of homes and left the neighborhood, as residents described it, looking like a war zone. In the immediate aftermath, the two companies that caused the disaster agreed to pay for emergency hotel rooms while families figured out what came next. That arrangement was supposed to last as long as necessary. But on May 22, the contract between Sabesp and Comgás and the hotels simply ended. No extension. No warning beyond what residents received that morning. Leave today.

Caroline Rodrigues, who lost her home in the explosion, stood in the street trying to explain what had happened. The contract ran out on the 22nd, she said. It wasn't renewed. The hotels asked people to leave because there was no money coming in anymore. She and dozens of other families had been waiting in those rooms for weeks, expecting the authorities to tell them what would happen next—whether they would get money to rent elsewhere, whether they could rebuild, whether the government would house them. None of that had been decided.

The government's response, when it came, was a list of options. The state housing authority, CDHU, said it could offer furnished apartments to some families. Others could get a credit letter to buy property on their own. There was also talk of rental assistance—R$800 a month. But residents heard different things from different officials at different times. One man, Edinaldo, was told he would be transferred to a hotel in Osasco. When he arrived, the staff said they had no record of him. He ended up back in Jaguaré with his family, his salvaged clothes, two dogs, and a child, with nowhere to sleep.

Luciano Melo, another resident, stood at the protest demanding clarity. "What we want is a concrete answer," he said. "Every hour it's a different answer." Many families feared they were being pressured to accept apartments they didn't want, to leave the neighborhood entirely. They wanted to return to Jaguaré, to rebuild where they had lived. The government was offering them a way out; they wanted a way back.

By evening, after the streets were blocked and fires burned, community leaders met with representatives from Sabesp, the public prosecutor's office, and police. Ana "Pantera," a community organizer, emerged from the meeting saying they had been promised the families could return to the hotels, that no one would be left on the street. But the larger promise—a real solution, a permanent home—remained unsigned and unscheduled. The government later claimed that by Friday, twenty families had accepted CDHU apartments and six others had taken credit letters. But for those still waiting, still uncertain, still living in temporary rooms that were no longer being paid for, the numbers meant nothing. What mattered was whether they would have a home.

What we want is a concrete answer. Every hour it's a different answer.
— Luciano Melo, displaced resident
What we want is to return to our community. It seems like they're trying to force us to take an apartment.
— Unnamed resident at protest
The Hearth Conversation Another angle on the story
Inventor

Why did the hotel contracts end so abruptly? Was there a deadline set from the beginning?

Model

The contracts were set to run through May 22, but there's no clear public explanation for why they weren't extended. The companies said they would pay "as long as necessary," but when the date came, they stopped. It feels less like a hard deadline and more like the utilities decided the emergency phase was over.

Inventor

What's the actual disagreement between residents and the government about housing?

Model

The government is offering apartments or rental vouchers—ways to move forward. But residents don't want to be relocated. They want to stay in Jaguaré, rebuild their homes there. They see the government's offers as a way to disperse the community, to make the problem disappear rather than solve it.

Inventor

Is R$800 a month actually too low for rent in that area?

Model

According to the residents, yes—completely unrealistic. You can't find a place in Jaguaré for that price. It's an insult, really. It suggests the government either doesn't understand local housing costs or doesn't care.

Inventor

What happened to the man who was sent to Osasco?

Model

Edinaldo was transferred to a hotel there, but when he arrived, they had no reservation under his name. The system failed him. He had to drive back to Jaguaré with his family and whatever clothes they'd saved from the explosion, with nowhere to go. That's the kind of administrative chaos that's driving the anger.

Inventor

Do we know if the families actually stayed in the hotels after the protest?

Model

The community leader said they were promised they could return. But the reporting doesn't confirm whether that actually happened or for how long. It's another promise in a long line of promises that haven't solidified into anything real.

Inventor

What's the deeper issue here—is it just about housing, or something else?

Model

It's about control and trust. The explosion wasn't the residents' fault. The utilities caused it. Now those same utilities and the government are making decisions about where people will live, how much help they'll get, whether they stay or leave. The residents have no say. They're being managed, not consulted.

Want the full story? Read the original at G1 ↗
Contact Us FAQ