We had nothing, and they were watching us.
In the pre-dawn hours of Monday near Khan Younis, southern Gaza, Israeli forces opened fire on thousands of Palestinians moving toward an aid distribution site, killing at least three and wounding dozens more — the second such incident in as many days, following Sunday's shooting that killed 31. The violence unfolds against a backdrop of blockade, famine warnings, and a contested aid system that forces civilians to risk their lives for food. What is being witnessed is not merely a security incident but a recurring collision between survival and military force, in a territory where over 54,000 have now died and the architecture of humanitarian relief has itself become a site of conflict.
- Palestinians are being shot while walking toward food — twice in two days at the same location, with a combined death toll exceeding 34 and hundreds wounded.
- Israel insists its troops fired warning shots at approaching suspects a kilometre from the aid site; witnesses and UN officials describe crowds of hungry civilians being fired upon without adequate warning.
- A separate Monday airstrike on a residential building in Jabaliya killed 14 people, including seven children, deepening a single day's toll into something harder to absorb.
- The aid distribution system at the centre of the crisis is itself disputed — backed by Israel and the US, rejected by the UN as a violation of humanitarian principles that forces civilians to cross military lines for basic necessities.
- UN Secretary-General Guterres called the shootings appalling and demanded an independent investigation, as famine warnings over Gaza grow sharper with each passing week.
- With no ceasefire in sight, 58 hostages still held, and a war now in its twentieth month, the pattern of violence around aid sites signals a humanitarian system under catastrophic strain.
Just after dawn on Monday, thousands of Palestinians were making their way toward an aid distribution hub near Khan Younis in southern Gaza when Israeli forces opened fire. At least three people were killed and dozens wounded, according to health officials and witnesses. The Israeli military said its troops fired warning shots at suspects who had approached their positions — a kilometre from the aid site, which was closed at the time.
It was not the first time. The same location, known as the Flag Roundabout, had seen nearly identical violence the day before. On Sunday, at least 31 people were killed and more than 170 wounded when crowds gathered in darkness seeking food. Witnesses said soldiers ordered people to disperse, then opened fire. The repetition raised immediate questions about whether the shootings were deliberate, reckless, or both.
The aid site is operated by the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, an organization backed by Israel and the United States as an alternative to the traditional UN delivery network. The UN and major aid organizations have rejected it outright, arguing it violates humanitarian principles by giving Israel control over who receives assistance and forcing Palestinians to travel long distances — often across military lines — to reach food. The traditional system delivers supplies to where people live.
On the same Monday, an Israeli airstrike on a residential building in the Jabaliya refugee camp in northern Gaza killed 14 people, including seven children and five women. The military said it had struck terror targets but provided no further details.
At Nasser Hospital, a 21-year-old named Moataz al-Feirani was being treated for a gunshot wound to his leg. He had been walking with thousands of others toward the aid site around 5:30 a.m. 'We had had nothing, and they were watching us,' he said, noting that drones had been filming the crowd. A Red Cross field hospital received 50 wounded from the same incident; two arrived already dead.
The war, which began with the October 7, 2023 Hamas attack that killed roughly 1,200 Israelis, has now claimed over 54,000 Palestinian lives. Hamas still holds 58 hostages. There is no visible path toward resolution. UN Secretary-General António Guterres called the Monday shooting appalling and demanded an immediate independent investigation, saying it was unacceptable that Palestinians were being forced to risk their lives for food — a statement that carries particular weight as famine warnings over Gaza continue to intensify.
Just after dawn on Monday, as thousands of Palestinians made their way toward an aid distribution hub in southern Gaza, Israeli forces opened fire. At least three people were killed and dozens more were wounded in the shooting near Khan Younis, according to health officials and witnesses present at the scene. The Israeli military characterized the incident differently, saying its troops had fired warning shots at suspects who approached their positions—a kilometre away from the aid site itself, which was closed at the time.
This was not an isolated moment. The same location, known as the Flag Roundabout, had witnessed similar violence just the day before. On Sunday, at least 31 people were killed and more than 170 wounded when crowds gathered in the pre-dawn darkness seeking food assistance. Witnesses said Israeli forces ordered people to disperse, then opened fire as they refused or were unable to leave quickly enough. The pattern was stark enough that it raised immediate questions about whether the shootings were deliberate or reckless.
The aid distribution site itself is run by the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, an organization backed by Israel and the United States. It represents a new approach to delivering assistance in a territory where roughly two million people live under an Israeli blockade that has only been marginally eased in recent weeks. The foundation insists its operations have proceeded without incident, but the United Nations and major international aid organizations have rejected the system entirely. They argue it violates fundamental humanitarian principles by allowing Israel to control who receives aid and by forcing Palestinians to travel long distances—often across military lines—to access basic necessities. The traditional UN aid network, by contrast, delivers supplies to where people actually live.
On the same Monday, a separate Israeli strike hit a residential building in the northern Gaza Strip, in the densely populated Jabaliya refugee camp. That attack killed 14 people, including five women and seven children, according to hospital records from Shifa and al-Ahli. The Israeli military said it had struck terror targets but offered no further details. This is consistent with Israel's stated position: that it only targets militants and that civilian deaths result from Hamas's practice of operating in populated areas. The military does not typically acknowledge or investigate specific civilian casualties.
At Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, a 21-year-old named Moataz al-Feirani was being treated for a gunshot wound to his leg. He had been walking with thousands of others toward the aid site around 5:30 a.m. when the shooting began. "We had had nothing, and they were watching us," he said, noting that drones had been filming the crowd. A Red Cross field hospital received 50 wounded people from the same incident, most with gunfire and shrapnel injuries. Two of them were already dead when they arrived.
The broader context makes the violence particularly stark. The Israel-Hamas war, which began with the October 7, 2023 attack that killed roughly 1,200 Israelis and led to the abduction of 251 people, has now claimed over 54,000 Palestinian lives according to Gaza's Health Ministry. Hamas still holds 58 hostages, with about a third believed to be alive. Israel has said it will continue military operations until all hostages are returned and Hamas is defeated or disarmed. Hamas has countered that it will only release remaining hostages in exchange for Palestinian prisoners, a permanent ceasefire, and an Israeli withdrawal. There is no visible path toward resolution.
UN Secretary-General António Guterres called the Monday shooting appalling, saying it was unacceptable that Palestinians were risking their lives for food. He called for an immediate independent investigation and accountability for those responsible. The new aid distribution system, which Israel and the United States say was created to prevent Hamas from diverting assistance, has been rejected by UN agencies, which deny any systemic diversion occurs and argue the current approach only deepens the humanitarian crisis. Experts have warned of famine conditions in Gaza, a warning that takes on sharper meaning when people are being shot while trying to obtain food.
Notable Quotes
We had had nothing, and they were watching us.— Moataz al-Feirani, 21, shot in the leg while approaching the aid site
It is unacceptable that Palestinians are risking their lives for food.— UN Secretary-General António Guterres
The Hearth Conversation Another angle on the story
Why does the location matter so much—the Flag Roundabout, the same spot twice in two days?
Because it shows this wasn't random. People learned where to go, and they came back. The second time, they knew the risk. That's what makes it different from a single incident.
The military says it fired warning shots at suspects a kilometre away. Does that distance change what happened?
It changes the narrative they're offering, but not what people experienced. If you're in a crowd of thousands and gunfire starts, the distance between you and the shooter doesn't matter much. You're still running, still bleeding.
Why would the UN reject an aid system that Israel and the US created to help?
Because it's not really about helping. It's about control. The UN delivers aid where people are. This system makes people come to the aid, cross military lines, pass near armed soldiers. That's not humanitarian—that's conditional.
Is there any chance the military's account is accurate—that they really were just firing warnings?
Possibly. But when the same thing happens two days in a row at the same place, and 31 people die the first time and 3 the second, the pattern suggests something more deliberate than warning shots.
What does Moataz al-Feirani's quote tell us that the numbers don't?
That people knew they were being watched. That they went anyway because they had nothing. The drones filming them—that's surveillance of desperation. It's the human weight of the blockade made visible.
Where does this end?
Not soon. Israel says it won't stop until the hostages are back and Hamas is gone. Hamas says it won't release hostages without a permanent ceasefire and withdrawal. Neither side has moved. Meanwhile, people keep going to the Flag Roundabout because they're hungry.