The extent to which it's expanding is very much unknown.
In the remote mining corridors of Congo's Ituri province, a rare and largely untreatable variant of Ebola has emerged for only the third time in recorded history, claiming over a hundred lives and exposing the fragility of health systems stretched thin by conflict and displacement. The World Health Organization has declared a public health emergency of international concern, as Congo races to open treatment centers without the benefit of approved vaccines or therapeutics. A delayed diagnosis — the result of testing for the wrong strain — allowed the virus to establish itself in a region of constant movement and deep insecurity before the world fully understood what it was facing. This is not merely an outbreak; it is a test of how humanity responds when the tools it relies upon do not yet exist.
- A misidentified strain bought the virus weeks of unchecked spread, with four health workers dead before investigators even began looking for the right pathogen.
- The Bundibugyo variant — seen only twice before in half a century — carries no approved vaccine and no authorized treatment, leaving clinicians able to manage suffering but not stop the disease.
- Over 390 suspected cases and 105 deaths have been recorded in Congo, with the virus already crossing into Uganda and reaching the distant cities of Kinshasa and Goma.
- Three treatment centers are being built into the crisis in real time, while international teams from MSF, the IRC, and the WHO deploy into a region fractured by armed conflict and 273,000 displaced people.
- The Africa CDC's director-general described himself as being in 'panic mode' over medicine shortages, and a UN official on the ground warned that the true scale of the outbreak remains deeply unknown.
The first death came on April 24, when a patient arrived at a hospital in Bunia and did not survive. The body was returned to Mongbwalu, a mining town deep in Ituri province, and the virus traveled with it. By the time health officials understood what they were confronting, the outbreak had already taken root in one of the most difficult places imaginable to contain it.
The delay was consequential. Initial samples were tested for the Zaire strain — the one Congo's laboratories knew — and when those results came back negative, the investigation stalled. It wasn't until mid-May, after roughly 50 deaths had clustered in Mongbwalu including four health workers who died within four days, that the true culprit was identified: Bundibugyo, a rare Ebola variant seen only twice before in history, first in Uganda in 2007 and again in Congo in 2012. There is no approved vaccine. There are no authorized treatments. Clinicians can only manage symptoms.
On Sunday, the WHO declared a public health emergency of international concern. Congo's health minister stood in Ituri's capital and spoke plainly about overwhelmed hospitals and a system under severe strain. By Monday, the country was counting more than 390 suspected cases and 105 deaths, with two additional deaths recorded across the border in Uganda. Three dedicated treatment centers were being prepared, built into the crisis as it unfolded around them.
Mongbwalu sits over a thousand kilometers from Kinshasa, in a province already hollowed out by armed conflict and displacement. More than 273,000 people have been uprooted in Ituri in recent years, and nearly two million require humanitarian assistance. A UN official in Bunia told reporters that the true scale of the outbreak was 'very much unknown,' and that the fear of shutting down aid operations in a region dependent on them was itself a form of catastrophe.
The international response moved quickly — MSF, the IRC, the CDC, and the WHO all deployed — but urgency could not substitute for the tools that did not yet exist. The Africa CDC's director-general said he was in 'panic mode' over the shortage of medicines, with candidate treatments weeks away and no certainty of their effectiveness. Congo has faced Ebola before and carries hard-won institutional knowledge. But this variant was rarer, less understood, and arriving in a place where the conditions for containment were already failing. What came next depended on factors no one could fully control.
The first person to die walked into a hospital in Bunia on April 24. By the time health officials realized what they were dealing with, the virus had already moved. The body was sent back to Mongbwalu, a mining town deep in Congo's Ituri province, and within weeks the outbreak had spiraled into something the country had not seen before: a variant of Ebola with no approved vaccine, no proven treatment, and no clear way to stop it.
On Sunday, the World Health Organization declared the situation a public health emergency of international concern. By Monday, Congo's health authorities were counting over 390 suspected cases and 105 deaths. Two more had died across the border in Uganda. The response was already underway—the WHO had dispatched 35 experts to Bunia along with seven tons of medical supplies—but the scale of what lay ahead remained uncertain. Samuel Roger Kamba, Congo's health minister, stood in Ituri's capital on Sunday and spoke plainly about the strain on the system. Hospitals were already overwhelmed. The country was preparing to open three dedicated treatment centers, but everyone understood they were building the response as the crisis unfolded.
The delay in recognizing the outbreak had consequences. The first death occurred on April 24, but samples from that case were tested for Zaire, the Ebola strain Congo's laboratories knew how to identify. When those tests came back negative, officials moved on. It wasn't until May 5, when word reached the WHO of roughly 50 deaths clustered in Mongbwalu—including four health workers who died within four days—that investigators began looking harder. The first confirmed case didn't come until May 14. By then, the virus had already established itself in a place where it could spread: a high-traffic mining area with poor roads, intense population movement, and a humanitarian system already stretched thin.
The variant circulating now is Bundibugyo, a rare form of Ebola that has appeared only twice before in the historical record. The first outbreak was in Uganda's Bundibugyo district in 2007 and 2008, infecting 149 people and killing 37. The second was in 2012 in Isiro, Congo, where 57 cases and 29 deaths were recorded. This is the third time the world has encountered it. The virus causes fever, headache, muscle pain, weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain, and unexplained bleeding or bruising. There is no vaccine. There are no authorized treatments. Health officials can manage symptoms, nothing more.
Mongbwalu sits more than a thousand kilometers from Kinshasa, Congo's capital, in a region already fractured by armed conflict and displacement. Over 273,000 people have been displaced in Ituri in recent years. Nearly two million are in need of humanitarian assistance. The province has been wracked by insecurity, with armed groups killing dozens and displacing thousands. A UN official based in Bunia, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Associated Press that no one fully grasped how serious the crisis had become. "The extent to which it's expanding is very much unknown," the official said. Staff had been asked to work from home and avoid crowds, but the fear was that shutting down operations in a region dependent on aid would create a different kind of catastrophe.
The international response mobilized quickly. Médecins Sans Frontières and the International Rescue Committee deployed teams. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control issued travel advisories. Rwanda closed its land border with Congo on Sunday. CBS News reported that at least six Americans had been exposed to the virus, though U.S. health officials said the risk remained low. But behind the coordinated response lay a more urgent anxiety. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the Africa CDC, told Sky News he was in "panic mode" over the shortage of medicines and vaccines as deaths continued to climb. Some candidate treatments were expected in the coming weeks, he said, but there was no certainty they would arrive in time or prove effective.
Congo has managed Ebola outbreaks before. The country has experience, expertise, and institutional memory. But this variant was different—rarer, less understood, and arriving in a place where the health system was already failing. The three treatment centers being opened represented the country's best effort to contain what was spreading, but officials were honest about the limits of what they could do. The outbreak had started in a remote mining area in the middle of a humanitarian crisis, in a region where armed groups moved freely and population movement was constant. The virus had already reached Kinshasa and Goma. What came next depended on factors no one could fully control.
Notable Quotes
We are preparing to have treatment centers at all three sites in order to be able to expand our capabilities.— Samuel Roger Kamba, Congo's health minister
I am in panic mode due to a lack of medicines and vaccines as deaths rise.— Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the Africa CDC
The Hearth Conversation Another angle on the story
Why did it take so long to identify this as Ebola?
The samples from the first death were tested for Zaire, the strain Congo's labs are equipped to recognize. When those came back negative, the case was closed. No one was looking for something rare.
So the delay was a kind of institutional blindness.
Partly. But also practical. You test for what you know. When the WHO got word of fifty deaths clustered in one place in early May, that's when the alarm bells actually rang.
And by then the virus had already moved.
Yes. It had moved to the capital, to Gama. A mining town with constant traffic, poor roads, and no real containment infrastructure.
What makes Bundibugyo different from the other Ebola strains?
There's no vaccine. No approved treatment. You can manage the symptoms—fluids, blood transfusions, supportive care—but you can't stop the virus itself. And it's rare enough that most health systems have never seen it.
How rare?
This is only the third time it's been detected since 1976. The first outbreak was in Uganda in 2007. The second in Congo in 2012. Now this.
And the region where it's spreading is already in crisis.
Deeply. Armed conflict, displacement, weak health systems, humanitarian need. The virus didn't arrive in a stable place. It arrived in a place that was already breaking.