Trump reviews Iran's peace proposal with skepticism, keeps military options open

Ongoing military blockade has disrupted global shipping for over two months, affecting international commerce and supply chains.
Do we want to blast the hell out of them, or try to make a deal
Trump laid out the two paths forward in stark terms while leaving military action deliberately open as an option.

At a moment when the world's most critical maritime passage remains closed and global commerce strains under the weight of a two-month blockade, President Trump finds himself holding an Iranian peace proposal in one hand and the memory of forty-seven years of grievance in the other. Iran has offered to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and lift the American blockade, asking only that nuclear discussions be deferred — a concession that Trump has neither accepted nor refused, but received with the kind of skepticism that leaves all doors open and none of them welcoming. The standoff is no longer simply a bilateral confrontation; it has become a test of whether accumulated historical resentment can yield to the pragmatic arithmetic of diplomacy, and whether the machinery of war, once set in motion, can be stilled by words alone.

  • Iran submitted a new proposal to break the deadlock — reopen the Strait of Hormuz, end the blockade, and push nuclear talks to a later date — but Trump publicly questioned whether Iran has suffered enough to deserve a deal.
  • The Strait of Hormuz has been effectively closed for over two months, strangling global shipping lanes and freezing supply chains that the world economy depends on.
  • More than 100 aircraft, two carrier strike groups, and a dozen warships remain deployed in the Persian Gulf, and Trump has made clear that a military strike on Iran is still a live option on the table.
  • Congress is pressing a constitutional challenge under the War Powers Resolution after U.S. military operations crossed the 60-day threshold, though the latest Senate resolution to force authorization failed 47 to 50.
  • Trump said a decision on the Iranian offer is coming soon, but whether his skepticism is a negotiating posture designed to extract more concessions — or a genuine conviction that no deal is acceptable — remains the defining uncertainty of the moment.

On Saturday morning, President Trump told reporters at Palm Beach International Airport that he was reviewing Iran's latest proposal to end their standoff, but his words carried the weight of deep doubt. Iran had offered to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, lift the American blockade, and defer nuclear program discussions to future negotiations. Trump said he would examine the specifics, but posted on Truth Social that he could not imagine the plan being acceptable — not yet, he wrote, because Iran had not paid a big enough price for what it had done to humanity over the last forty-seven years.

The gap between the two sides was not merely tactical. Trump had already signaled dissatisfaction on Friday, and by Saturday was asking for the exact wording of the proposal while maintaining a public posture of skepticism. The question he kept returning to was not whether a deal could exist, but whether Iran had suffered enough consequences to deserve one — a framing that left little room for the kind of mutual concession diplomacy requires.

In the Persian Gulf, the military picture told its own story. The U.S. Navy had deployed two carrier strike groups, more than a hundred aircraft, and over a dozen ships to enforce a blockade in place since mid-April. Iran had kept the Strait of Hormuz closed to nearly all shipping for more than two months. Global commerce had stalled. Trump, briefed by military officials on options both for the Strait and for operations inside Iran, laid out the choice with characteristic bluntness: blast them and finish it, or try to make a deal. He said he would prefer not to resume strikes — but the threat remained deliberately open.

The standoff had also ignited a constitutional confrontation in Washington. The War Powers Resolution requires presidential authorization from Congress after sixty days of military operations, a threshold the campaign had just crossed. The Senate voted for the sixth time to demand Trump seek approval, but the resolution failed 47 to 50, with only two Republicans — Susan Collins and Rand Paul — joining Democrats in support. Trump argued that a temporary ceasefire in April had reset the clock, exempting him from the requirement.

What no one could yet read was whether Trump's skepticism was a negotiating tool — a way to press Iran for deeper concessions — or a genuine conviction that no acceptable agreement existed. He said a decision would come soon. In the meantime, the blockade held, ships sat idle, and the military options the president said he hoped to avoid remained fully prepared, waiting on a word.

President Trump stood on the tarmac at Palm Beach International Airport on Saturday morning and told reporters he was still mulling over Iran's latest proposal to end their standoff—but his tone suggested skepticism ran deep. The Iranian government had just submitted a new offer aimed at breaking the weeks-long deadlock: reopen the Strait of Hormuz to shipping, lift the American blockade, and defer discussions about Iran's nuclear program to some future negotiation. Trump said he would examine the specifics, but his written statement made his reservations plain. "I will soon be reviewing the plan that Iran has just sent to us, but can't imagine that it would be acceptable in that they have not yet paid a big enough price for what they have done to Humanity, and the World, over the last 47 years," he posted on Truth Social.

The president's hesitation reflected a fundamental gap in what each side was willing to accept. Trump had already signaled his dissatisfaction on Friday, telling aides the proposal fell short. By Saturday, he was asking for the full text—"They're going to give me the exact wording now," he said—but his public posture remained one of doubt. The core issue, as Trump framed it, was not whether a deal could be struck, but whether Iran had suffered enough consequences for its historical actions. That framing left little room for compromise.

Meanwhile, the military machinery grinding away in the Persian Gulf told a different story about how seriously the administration was considering its alternatives. The U.S. Navy had deployed more than 100 fighters and surveillance aircraft, two carrier strike groups, and more than a dozen ships to enforce a blockade on Iran that had been in place since mid-April. Iran, for its part, had choked off nearly all shipping through the Strait for more than two months, allowing only its own vessels through. The economic toll was mounting. Global commerce had stalled. Supply chains that depended on the world's most critical waterway had ground to a halt.

Trump had been briefed by military officials on Thursday about options for both the Strait and potential operations inside Iran itself. When asked about the path forward, he laid out the choice in stark terms: "Do we want to go and just blast the Hell out of them and finish them forever, or do we want to try and make a deal. Those are the options." He added that he would "prefer not" to resume strikes, but the statement carried the weight of a threat left deliberately open. Military action remained on the table, and everyone involved understood it.

The standoff had also triggered a constitutional showdown on Capitol Hill. The War Powers Resolution of 1973 requires a president to seek congressional authorization for military operations after they reach their 60th day in action. The U.S. military campaign in Iran had crossed that threshold earlier in the week. The Senate had voted six times to pass a resolution demanding that Trump seek approval before continuing operations. On Thursday, the latest vote failed 47 to 50, with all Senate Democrats except John Fetterman of Pennsylvania voting in favor, and only two Republicans—Susan Collins of Maine and Rand Paul of Kentucky—breaking ranks to support it. Trump had argued that because a temporary ceasefire had taken effect on April 8, he did not need Congress' permission to keep the military machinery running.

What remained unclear was whether Trump's skepticism about Iran's proposal was a negotiating position—a way to extract more concessions—or a genuine belief that no acceptable deal existed. His comment that he would "let reporters know" soon whether he accepted or rejected the offer suggested a decision was coming, but the timeline was vague. In the meantime, the blockade held. Ships sat idle. The Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most vital chokepoints, remained effectively closed to commerce. And the military options that Trump said he preferred to avoid remained fully available, waiting for a word from the president.

Iran has not yet paid a big enough price for what they have done to Humanity, and the World, over the last 47 years
— President Trump, in a Truth Social post
Do we want to go and just blast the Hell out of them and finish them forever, or do we want to try and make a deal
— President Trump, to reporters at Palm Beach International Airport
La Conversación del Hearth Otra perspectiva de la historia
Inventor

Why does Trump keep saying Iran hasn't paid a big enough price? What would that even look like?

Model

He's tying the current negotiation to decades of grievance—the hostage crisis, support for militant groups, regional destabilization. For him, any deal that doesn't include some form of reckoning for that history feels incomplete. It's not just about ending this war; it's about settling an old account.

Inventor

But Iran is offering to reopen the Strait. That's a massive economic concession. Doesn't that count as payment?

Model

In Trump's framing, apparently not. He seems to view economic pain as a temporary measure, not a permanent consequence. He wants something that feels like accountability—a shift in behavior, a recognition of wrongdoing, something that sticks.

Inventor

What about Congress? They're clearly frustrated that he's operating without authorization.

Model

He's using the April 8 ceasefire as legal cover, arguing it resets the clock on the 60-day requirement. But that's a thin argument, and the Senate knows it. The votes show the pressure is real, even if it's not enough to stop him.

Inventor

If he rejects Iran's offer, what happens next?

Model

The blockade stays in place. The military options he mentioned—the ones he says he prefers to avoid—become the default. The Strait stays closed. Global shipping stays disrupted. And the standoff deepens.

Inventor

Is there any sign he's actually going to accept a deal?

Model

Not from what he's said publicly. His skepticism seems genuine, not performative. But he's also leaving the door open by asking for the full text. It's possible he's looking for something Iran can add to make it palatable—a concession on nuclear inspections, maybe, or a public statement. But right now, the momentum is toward rejection.

Quieres la nota completa? Lee el original en NBC News ↗
Contáctanos FAQ