Trump Says He's Reviewing Iran's Offer but Doubts Its Acceptability

Iran has not yet paid a big enough price for what they have done
Trump's condition for accepting any cease-fire agreement, suggesting his threshold may exceed what negotiation can deliver.

In the fragile space between war and peace, the United States and Iran find themselves suspended in a familiar human dilemma — the difficulty of translating a desire for resolution into the language of trust. President Trump, speaking from Palm Beach on Saturday, acknowledged he had not yet read the full terms of Iran's cease-fire proposal before rejecting it the day prior, suggesting that what appeared to be a closed door may still be ajar. Yet his insistence that Iran has not yet paid a sufficient price for decades of grievance signals that the threshold for agreement may exceed what diplomacy alone can deliver.

  • A cease-fire that was declared dead on Friday was quietly resurrected on Saturday — not through agreement, but through the admission that no one had fully read the terms.
  • Trump's public framing — that Iran has not suffered enough in 47 years to deserve a deal — sets a moral bar that may be impossible for any negotiated text to clear.
  • Iran's deputy foreign minister delivered a pointed ultimatum to foreign diplomats: the United States must choose between diplomacy and confrontation, and Iran is prepared for either.
  • Pakistani mediators received Iran's proposal Thursday night, threading a narrow channel between two governments that are simultaneously talking and threatening.
  • The cease-fire holds — but only as a pause, not a peace, with both sides signaling resolve while the actual wording of any agreement remains unread and unresolved.

On Saturday evening, President Trump posted on Truth Social that he was reviewing Iran's latest cease-fire proposal — a notable reversal from the day before, when he had dismissed it outright. Standing near his plane in Palm Beach, he admitted to reporters that his initial rejection had been premature: he had only been briefed on the deal's broad concept, not its actual language. "They're going to give me the exact wording now," he said.

The proposal had been transmitted to Pakistani mediators on Thursday through Iranian state channels, setting off a weekend of diplomatic signals and counter-signals. But Trump's skepticism appeared less concerned with the specifics of the offer than with a deeper conviction — that Iran had not yet been made to pay sufficiently for what he described as nearly five decades of harm to the world. The framing suggested his threshold for any agreement might be set beyond what negotiation could realistically reach.

In Tehran, Iran's deputy foreign minister Kazem Gharibabadi addressed foreign diplomats on Friday with a message that was equal parts olive branch and warning. He cast the moment as a choice for Washington: diplomacy or confrontation. Iran, he made clear, was prepared for either — including a return to military conflict if talks collapsed.

What remained by weekend's end was a negotiation suspended at its own threshold. Trump had not rejected the proposal a second time, but his language — that he could not imagine accepting what Iran had offered — left little room for optimism. Iran had made its move and was waiting. The cease-fire endured, but only barely, held in place by the distance between two positions that had not yet found a way toward each other.

The cease-fire between the United States and Iran hung suspended in uncertainty on Saturday evening as President Trump posted on Truth Social that he was examining Iran's latest proposal but could not envision accepting it. The statement marked a shift in tone from the day before, when he had dismissed the offer outright, saying he was dissatisfied with what Tehran had put forward. By Saturday, standing near his airplane in Palm Beach, Florida, Trump acknowledged to reporters that his initial rejection had been premature—he had only been briefed on the broad strokes of the deal, not the actual language. "They're going to give me the exact wording now," he said.

The proposal itself had been transmitted to Pakistani mediators on Thursday evening through Iranian state channels, setting off a chain of diplomatic signals that would define the weekend. Trump's skepticism, however, seemed rooted less in the specifics of what Iran was offering than in his conviction that the country had not yet suffered sufficiently for its actions. In his social media post, he argued that Iran had "not yet paid a big enough price for what they have done to Humanity, and the World, over the last 47 years"—a formulation that suggested his threshold for agreement might be higher than what any negotiated settlement could realistically deliver.

Meanwhile, in Tehran, Iran's deputy foreign minister Kazem Gharibabadi was making his own case to assembled foreign diplomats on Friday. He reframed the moment as one of American choice: the United States could pursue diplomacy or continue down the path of confrontation. The implicit message was clear—Iran was not backing down. Gharibabadi added that his country stood ready to resume military conflict if the talks collapsed and hostilities resumed. The statement was both an olive branch and a warning, a reminder that the cease-fire itself remained fragile, dependent on movement from Washington.

What emerged from these parallel statements was a negotiation stalled at the threshold. Trump had not rejected the proposal outright a second time, but his language suggested deep reservations. He was waiting to see the full text, he said, but his framing—that Iran had not paid enough, that he could not imagine accepting what they had offered—indicated the bar for acceptance was set high. Iran, for its part, had made its move and was now waiting for an American response, having signaled both willingness to negotiate and readiness to fight. The cease-fire remained in place, but only barely, suspended between two positions that seemed difficult to reconcile.

They're going to give me the exact wording now
— President Trump, speaking to reporters in Palm Beach, Florida
The ball is now in the United States' court to choose between diplomacy or continuing a confrontational approach
— Kazem Gharibabadi, Iran's deputy foreign minister
The Hearth Conversation Another angle on the story
Inventor

Why did Trump reject the proposal on Friday but then walk it back on Saturday?

Model

He hadn't actually read it. He was reacting to the concept, to the idea that Iran had made an offer. Once he realized he needed to see the actual language before making a final judgment, he adjusted his public stance.

Inventor

But his Saturday comments still sound skeptical. What changed?

Model

The tone shifted, but not the substance of his doubt. He's saying he'll look at the details, but he's already set a condition—that Iran hasn't paid enough for past actions. That's a threshold that might be impossible to meet through negotiation alone.

Inventor

What does Iran's deputy foreign minister mean by putting the ball in America's court?

Model

He's saying Iran has made its offer. Now it's up to the U.S. to decide whether to engage seriously or keep fighting. It's a way of shifting responsibility, of saying we've done our part.

Inventor

Is the cease-fire actually at risk?

Model

It's fragile. Both sides are signaling they could resume conflict. The cease-fire exists, but it's more of a pause than a stable agreement. It depends on whether Trump and his team decide the proposal is worth pursuing.

Inventor

What's the real obstacle here?

Model

Trump's demand that Iran pay a price seems to be about more than this specific deal. It's about his view of Iran's entire history. That's hard to resolve through negotiation because it's not really about the terms on the table.

Contact Us FAQ