Trump halts Hormuz shipping operation after 50 hours, citing Iran deal progress

At least five civilians reportedly killed in disputed Iranian vessel strikes; multiple crew members injured in ship attacks during the operation.
The operation that consumed the Pentagon's attention for fifty hours was now on hold.
Trump paused Project Freedom just hours after his defense secretary declared it a success, citing progress in Iran negotiations.

In the narrow waters where a fifth of the world's energy passes, the United States launched and then suspended a military operation within fifty hours, a rhythm that speaks less to resolution than to the ancient tension between force and diplomacy. President Trump's Project Freedom sought to break Iran's blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, freeing nearly a thousand merchant vessels and twenty thousand seafarers caught in geopolitical suspension. The swift pause, attributed to progress in negotiations with Tehran, leaves the fundamental question unanswered: who holds authority over the passages that sustain the modern world.

  • A fifth of global oil and gas flow was being strangled by Iran's blockade, with roughly a thousand ships and twenty thousand crew members stranded and energy prices already climbing.
  • Within hours of launch, the operation's credibility fractured — disputed vessel strikes, five reported civilian deaths, a tanker hit in the strait, an explosion off South Korea, and a fire at a UAE oil port painted a picture of escalating chaos rather than controlled resolution.
  • Pentagon officials pushed back with confidence on Tuesday morning, citing hundreds of ships queuing for transit and framing the operation as temporary and focused — but the reassurances arrived just hours before Trump reversed course.
  • Trump paused Project Freedom at 18:52 Washington time on Tuesday, citing 'great progress' toward an Iran deal, even as a French-flagged ship had been struck in the strait only four hours earlier.
  • The shipping industry remained unconvinced — Lloyd's List reported that owners and insurers found the operation lacking sufficient clarity or credible protection, and transit volumes through the strait continued to fall.

On Sunday evening, President Trump announced Project Freedom — a sweeping American military operation to force open the Strait of Hormuz, which Iran had effectively sealed since the start of the US-Israel war. Roughly a fifth of the world's oil and gas flows through that narrow passage, and the blockade had already rattled energy markets. Around a thousand merchant vessels, carrying some twenty thousand seafarers, sat trapped in the region.

Trump framed the move as humanitarian, promising safe passage for commerce while noting that his representatives were in "very positive discussions" with Iran. By Monday morning, guided-missile destroyers, more than a hundred aircraft, and fifteen thousand personnel were in motion. Two American merchant vessels transited successfully — but violence arrived alongside them. Trump claimed strikes on seven Iranian fast boats; Iranian state media said two small cargo vessels had been hit, killing five civilians. A UAE tanker was struck in the strait, a South Korean ship reported an explosion offshore, and a fire broke out at the port of Fujairah after what the UAE described as an Iranian attack.

By Tuesday morning, Pentagon officials were projecting confidence. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said hundreds more ships were lining up to transit. Secretary of State Marco Rubio called it a favor to the world. Then, just hours later, Trump reversed course entirely — posting at 18:52 Washington time that Project Freedom would be paused due to "great progress" toward a deal with Iran.

The timing was jarring. A French-flagged ship had been struck in the strait only four hours before the announcement, injuring crew members. And the shipping industry was already skeptical: Lloyd's List reported that owners and insurers said the operation had not provided sufficient clarity or credible protection to justify resuming transits. Volumes through the strait continued to fall.

What had begun as a dramatic assertion of American military will ended as a fifty-hour pause. The pivot suggested diplomacy might now take precedence — but the underlying problem, how to move the world's commerce through waters Iran controls, remained unresolved.

On Sunday evening, President Trump announced a sweeping military operation called Project Freedom. The goal was straightforward: use American naval power to force open the Strait of Hormuz, a waterway that Iran had effectively sealed off since the start of the US-Israel war. Through that narrow passage flows roughly a fifth of the world's oil and gas. The blockade had already sent energy prices climbing and set off alarms about the global economy. Around a thousand merchant vessels, carrying some twenty thousand seafarers, sat trapped in the region waiting for passage.

Trump framed the operation as a humanitarian gesture. He posted that the US would guide ships safely through the restricted waters so commerce could resume. His representatives, he added, were having "very positive discussions" with Iran—discussions that might lead to something good for everyone involved. The operation would begin Monday morning, Middle East time.

By early Monday, the US military's Central Command had mobilized. Guided-missile destroyers, more than a hundred aircraft, and fifteen thousand service personnel were now in motion. Two American merchant vessels successfully transited the strait that day. But the operation's first hours also brought violence. Trump claimed the military struck seven Iranian fast boats. Iranian media disputed this, with state sources saying two small cargo vessels had been hit, killing five civilians. On the same day, a tanker operated by the UAE's state oil company was struck in the strait. A South Korean ship anchored off the coast reported an explosion. A fire erupted at the oil port of Fujairah after what the UAE called an Iranian attack—a claim Iran denied.

By Tuesday morning, Pentagon officials were projecting confidence. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth told reporters that hundreds more ships were lining up to transit, and that the operation was "focused in scope and temporary in duration." General Dan Caine, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs, said merchant vessels had already passed through and more were expected. Secretary of State Marco Rubio called it a favor to the world, noting that America was the only nation capable of projecting power in that region the way it was doing.

Then, just hours later that same Tuesday, Trump reversed course. At 18:52 Washington time, he posted that Project Freedom would be paused. The decision had been made by "mutual agreement," he wrote, because there had been "great progress" toward a deal with Iran. The operation that had consumed the Pentagon's attention for fifty hours was now on hold.

The timing raised questions. A French-flagged ship had been hit in the strait just four hours before Trump's announcement, injuring crew members and damaging the vessel. And shipping industry observers were already skeptical. Lloyd's List, a publication covering maritime commerce, reported that ship owners and insurers said Project Freedom had not given them "sufficient clarity or credible protection" to justify resuming transits. Transit volumes through the strait continued to fall as security concerns mounted.

What had begun as a bold assertion of American military will—a dramatic solution to a blockade that threatened global commerce—had become a pause. The pivot suggested that diplomatic negotiations with Iran might now take precedence over military intervention. But the shipping industry's confidence in the operation remained fragile, and the fundamental problem—how to move commerce through waters Iran controlled—remained unsolved.

Project Freedom will be paused for a short period of time to see whether or not the Agreement can be finalized and signed.
— President Trump, via Truth Social
Project Freedom had not given ship owners and insurers sufficient clarity or credible protection to justify resuming transits through the strait.
— Lloyd's List, citing shipping industry sources
La Conversación del Hearth Otra perspectiva de la historia
Inventor

Why announce such a massive operation and then pause it fifty hours later? That's not a normal policy move.

Model

Trump had said his representatives were already in talks with Iran about a deal. The operation wasn't really the goal—it was leverage. Once those talks showed real movement, the military operation became less necessary.

Inventor

But ships were being hit during those fifty hours. Crew members were injured. How does that factor into "great progress"?

Model

That's the contradiction nobody quite resolved. The operation was supposed to protect commerce, but it seemed to accelerate the violence. Maybe that's what forced the diplomatic hand—the realization that military force was making things worse, not better.

Inventor

The shipping industry didn't trust it anyway, did they?

Model

No. They said Project Freedom hadn't given them enough confidence to actually use the strait. So you had this strange situation where the military operation was running but the people it was meant to help weren't willing to risk it.

Inventor

So what happens now?

Model

That depends on whether those Iran negotiations actually produce a deal. If they do, the strait opens without Project Freedom. If they don't, Trump has to decide whether to restart the operation or try something else entirely.

Quieres la nota completa? Lee el original en BBC News ↗
Contáctanos FAQ