We're very serious, we're very focused.
Trump suggested he would be the president to take military action on Cuba after 50-60 years of inaction by predecessors. Rubio stated diplomatic resolution was preferred but unlikely given current Cuban leadership, citing national security concerns over ties to China and Russia.
- Trump said he would be the president to take military action on Cuba after 50-60 years of inaction
- Raúl Castro indicted for ordering the 1996 shooting down of civilian aircraft
- USS Nimitz aircraft carrier deployed to Caribbean on same day as indictment announcement
- Rubio stated diplomatic resolution unlikely given Cuban ties to China and Russia
- Trump administration imposed sanctions on Gaesa, military-controlled business conglomerate
Trump and Secretary of State Rubio renewed threats of military intervention in Cuba while expressing doubt about diplomatic resolution, following criminal charges against former leader Raúl Castro.
On Thursday, Donald Trump and his secretary of state, Marco Rubio, made explicit what had been building for weeks: the possibility of American military action against Cuba. Trump, speaking to reporters in the Oval Office, framed it as a historical inevitability. For half a century or more, he said, other presidents had considered doing something about Cuba. "And it looks like I'll be the one that does it. So I would be happy to do it." The timing was deliberate. A day earlier, federal prosecutors had unsealed an indictment against Raúl Castro, the island's former leader, accusing him of ordering the 1996 shooting down of civilian aircraft piloted by Miami-based exiles. The charges—murder, destruction of an aircraft—carried symbolic weight in a city with deep historical grievances against the Cuban government. They also signaled a pattern: the same legal machinery that had preceded the January operation against Venezuelan president Nicolás Maduro was now turning toward Havana.
Rubio, the son of Cuban immigrants and a longtime hardliner on the island's socialist government, offered a more measured but equally ominous framing. Speaking in Miami before departing for a NATO meeting in Sweden, he acknowledged that Trump's preference was a negotiated settlement. "That's always our preference. That remains our preference with Cuba," Rubio said. But he immediately undercut that statement with a caveat: the likelihood of such a resolution was "not high." He cited Cuba's security ties to China and Russia, its relationships with other American adversaries in Latin America, and what he described as the island's pattern of "buying time and waiting us out." That strategy, he said, would no longer work. "We're very serious, we're very focused."
The diplomatic track, such as it was, had already fractured. Senior Trump administration officials—including Rubio, CIA director John Ratcliffe, and other national security figures—had met with Cuban representatives in recent months. Those meetings had ended in disappointment, prompting a fresh round of sanctions. The administration had targeted Grupo de Administración Empresarial, a military-controlled business conglomerate, and revoked the green card of the sister of Gaesa's executive president, placing her in ICE custody. Rubio framed the action in stark moral terms, condemning what he called the lavish American lifestyles of families connected to Cuban military elites while ordinary Cubans suffered at home.
The military dimension was already visible. The USS Nimitz aircraft carrier and its accompanying ships had arrived in the Caribbean Sea on the same day the Castro indictment was announced. The Pentagon described the deployment as part of maritime exercises that had begun in March, but the timing fed speculation about preparations for something larger. Trump had already threatened military action since removing Maduro from power and imposing an energy blockade on Venezuela that had triggered blackouts, food shortages, and economic collapse. He had also spoken of a "friendly takeover" of Cuba if its leadership refused to open the economy to American investment and expel countries like China and Russia from the island.
When asked directly whether the US would use force to change Cuba's political system, Rubio did not rule it out. He repeated the preference for diplomacy but added a telling phrase: "the president always has the option to do whatever it takes to support and protect the national interest." Asked if this amounted to nation-building, he rejected the characterization, insisting instead that the administration was addressing a legitimate national security threat. Castro, now 94 and approaching his 95th birthday, would not be tried in any conventional sense. Rubio declined to discuss how the indictment might be enforced.
The Cuban government responded swiftly. President Miguel Díaz-Canel condemned the indictment as a political stunt designed to justify military aggression. China's foreign ministry issued its own statement, expressing firm support for Cuba's sovereignty and opposing external interference. But those objections carried little weight in Washington. The machinery was in motion—legal charges filed, military assets positioned, diplomatic channels closed. What remained unclear was not whether the Trump administration intended to act, but when, and at what cost to the island's population of 11 million people.
Citas Notables
Other presidents have looked at this for 50, 60 years, doing something. And it looks like I'll be the one that does it.— Donald Trump
The likelihood of that happening, given who we're dealing with right now, is not high.— Marco Rubio, on prospects for diplomatic resolution
La Conversación del Hearth Otra perspectiva de la historia
Why announce the Castro indictment now, after all these years? The shooting down of those planes happened in 1996.
Because timing is the message. You indict him the day before you and your secretary of state talk openly about military intervention. It's not about prosecuting a 94-year-old man. It's about building a legal and moral case for what comes next.
But Rubio said diplomacy was still the preference. Doesn't that contradict the military talk?
Only if you believe him. He said it's the preference but the likelihood is "not high." That's not a preference—that's a closing door. He's telling you negotiations have already failed, even though they're still technically happening.
What changed? Why is Cuba suddenly a priority now?
Venezuela. They removed Maduro, charged him, imprisoned him. Cuba is next on the list. The playbook works, so they're running it again. The military assets are already there. The legal machinery is already moving.
Could this actually happen? Could there be military action?
Trump said he'd be happy to do it. Rubio said the president has the option to do whatever it takes. Those aren't rhetorical flourishes. Those are officials speaking plainly about what they're considering. Whether it happens depends on what happens next in Havana—and whether anyone there blinks first.