Hezbollah engages Israeli forces in eastern Lebanon helicopter operation

394 people killed in Israeli strikes over one week in Lebanon, including 83 children and 42 women, with ongoing ground combat causing additional casualties.
The ceasefire that had held for more than a year had collapsed
Israeli forces resumed strikes and ground operations in Lebanon after Hezbollah responded to the killing of Iran's supreme leader.

In the hills of eastern Lebanon, a conflict that once observed the boundaries of ceasefire has crossed into something older and more dangerous — soldiers on foreign soil, helicopters in the night sky, and a week's toll of nearly four hundred lives. The killing of Iran's supreme leader by a joint American-Israeli strike set in motion a chain of responses that has drawn Lebanon fully into a war it had hoped to avoid. What unfolds now is not merely a military exchange but a test of how far the architecture of regional deterrence can bend before it breaks.

  • Israeli commandos have now landed twice by helicopter in eastern Lebanon, crossing from Syrian territory into areas where Hezbollah holds deep roots — a shift from airstrikes to sustained ground presence.
  • Hezbollah claims to have shot down an Israeli helicopter during fierce clashes near Nabi Sheet, while separately engaging Israeli troops entering the border towns of Odaisseh and Aitaroun with artillery fire.
  • A strike on a central Beirut hotel — the first on the capital's downtown in this phase — killed what Israel described as five Iranian Revolutionary Guards commanders, signaling that no location is now beyond reach.
  • Lebanon's health ministry reports 394 people killed in a single week of Israeli strikes, among them 83 children and 42 women — a human toll that is reshaping the political and moral weight of the conflict.
  • The 2024 ceasefire has effectively collapsed, and with Iranian-backed forces now directly engaged, the question is no longer containment but the geography of the next escalation.

On Monday morning, Hezbollah announced it was fighting Israeli forces who had landed by helicopter in eastern Lebanon, arriving from Syrian territory. It was the second such operation in less than a week — a clear signal that the conflict had moved beyond airstrikes into something more deliberate and sustained.

The broader rupture traces back to the killing of Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, in a joint US-Israeli strike. Hezbollah responded by attacking Israel, pulling Lebanon into a war that had previously seemed confined to Gaza. Israel, which had held a ceasefire with Hezbollah since 2024, resumed strikes across the country and began inserting ground forces along the border.

In the latest operation, Hezbollah reported detecting roughly 15 Israeli helicopters crossing into eastern Lebanon. Fighters engaged both the aircraft and the landing force near Nabi Sheet. Two Hezbollah officials in the Bekaa region told reporters that one Israeli helicopter had been shot down, though Israel did not confirm or deny the claim. The first operation, conducted the previous Friday, had killed 41 people and was reportedly aimed at recovering the remains of an Israeli airman missing since 1986.

Fighting also spread southward, with Hezbollah reporting clashes in the border towns of Odaisseh and Aitaroun, where it said it struck Israeli troops with artillery.

The human cost had grown undeniable. Lebanon's health minister reported 394 deaths from Israeli strikes in a single week — 83 of them children, 42 women. Among the dead were four people killed in a strike on a Beirut hotel, the first Israeli strike on the capital's downtown in this phase of the conflict. Israel said it had targeted five commanders of Iran's Revolutionary Guards Quds Force who were meeting there.

A ceasefire that had held for over a year was gone. Ground forces were operating inside Lebanese territory. The toll was rising. The only open question was how much further the conflict would travel.

On Monday morning, Hezbollah announced it was locked in combat with Israeli forces who had just landed by helicopter in eastern Lebanon, crossing from Syrian territory. It was the second such operation in days—a sign that the conflict between Israel and the Iran-backed militant group had moved beyond airstrikes into sustained ground warfare.

The immediate trigger was stark: Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, had been killed in a joint US-Israeli strike. Hezbollah responded by attacking Israel, drawing Lebanon into a war that had previously seemed contained to Gaza. Israel, which had technically maintained a ceasefire with Hezbollah since 2024, resumed strikes across Lebanon and began inserting troops into border areas. The escalation came fast.

On Monday, Hezbollah said it detected roughly 15 Israeli helicopters infiltrating from the Syrian side into eastern Lebanon, a region where the group maintains significant control. Fighters engaged the helicopters and the landing force with what the organization called "appropriate weapons." The fighting was still underway when the statement was released. Lebanon's state news agency reported "fierce clashes" near the town of Nabi Sheet, where Israeli forces had conducted a helicopter landing. Two Hezbollah officials in the Bekaa region told international reporters that an Israeli helicopter had been shot down, though the Israeli military offered no immediate response to the claim.

This was the second such operation in less than a week. The first, which took place overnight Friday, had been a commando raid on Nabi Sheet and surrounding areas. That operation killed 41 people and was reportedly aimed at recovering the remains of Ron Arad, an Israeli airman who had been missing since 1986. The second operation suggested Israel was willing to sustain this kind of ground presence despite the risks and the mounting toll.

In the south, Hezbollah reported separate clashes with Israeli soldiers who had entered the border towns of Odaisseh and Aitaroun. The group said it had targeted Israeli troops in those areas with artillery fire. The fighting was spreading across multiple points along the frontier.

The human cost had become impossible to ignore. Lebanon's health minister, Rakan Nassereddine, reported on Sunday that Israeli strikes over the previous week had killed 394 people. Among them were 83 children and 42 women. Four of those deaths occurred in a strike on a central Beirut hotel early Sunday morning—the first time Israeli forces had struck the capital's downtown during this phase of the conflict. The Israeli military said it had conducted a "precise strike" targeting five commanders from Iran's Revolutionary Guards Quds Force, the unit responsible for foreign operations, while they were meeting at the hotel.

The numbers told a story of rapid escalation. A week of strikes had produced hundreds of deaths. A ceasefire that had held for more than a year had collapsed. Israeli helicopters were now landing troops in Lebanese territory, and Hezbollah was claiming to shoot them down. The question was no longer whether the conflict would deepen, but how far it would spread.

Hezbollah said its fighters engaged the helicopters and infiltrating force with appropriate weapons, and the confrontation was ongoing
— Hezbollah statement, Monday
Israeli strikes on Lebanon killed 394 people over the past week, including 83 children and 42 women
— Lebanon's health minister Rakan Nassereddine
A Conversa do Hearth Outra perspectiva sobre a história
Inventor

Why did Hezbollah decide to enter this conflict now, after the ceasefire held for over a year?

Model

The killing of Khamenei changed the calculation entirely. Hezbollah couldn't absorb that blow without responding—it would have looked like capitulation to their base and to Iran. The attack on Israel was almost obligatory.

Inventor

And Israel's response was to resume strikes and land troops. That's a significant shift from the ceasefire period.

Model

Yes. The ceasefire was always fragile. Israel had kept up strikes on Hezbollah even during it. But now there's no pretense of restraint. Two helicopter operations in a week, hundreds killed, strikes in central Beirut. Israel is treating this as open conflict.

Inventor

The second operation was searching for remains of a missing airman from 1986. That seems like an odd priority in the middle of an escalating war.

Model

It speaks to how Israel operates. Even in active conflict, recovering the bodies of its own soldiers is a national priority. But it also shows how far they're willing to push—conducting a commando raid that killed 41 people to search for remains. That's the calculus they're making.

Inventor

What about the civilians? 394 deaths in a week, including 83 children.

Model

That's the weight of it. Those numbers don't capture what they mean—families, entire neighborhoods. And the strike on central Beirut, on a hotel, that's a different kind of escalation. It's not just border areas anymore.

Inventor

Where does this go from here?

Model

That's the question no one can answer yet. Both sides have shown they're willing to escalate. Hezbollah is claiming it downed a helicopter. Israel is conducting ground operations. If either side believes it's winning, it will push harder.

Fale Conosco FAQ