A ceasefire announced in April exists only in official statements
A ceasefire exists in name, but not in practice. Since early March, Israeli strikes have killed nearly 2,800 people across Lebanon, with 39 more dying on a single Saturday — among them children — as both Israel and Hezbollah continue trading fire despite a deal brokered in April. The gap between diplomatic declarations and lived reality has rarely been so stark, and the question of what a ceasefire means when the killing does not stop is one that history has struggled to answer.
- A ceasefire announced on April 16th has failed to halt the fighting — Israeli strikes and Hezbollah drone attacks continued uninterrupted through the weekend.
- In Nabatieh, a drone struck a motorbike, then struck again to kill the father, then struck a third time targeting his 12-year-old daughter — a sequence that human rights groups say demands accountability.
- Over 120 people have been killed across Lebanon in a single week, with entire villages inside Israel's self-declared 6-mile border security zone reduced to rubble.
- Israel maintains it is targeting Hezbollah infrastructure with precision and precaution; rights organizations allege the pattern of strikes may constitute war crimes.
- With nearly 2,800 Lebanese dead against roughly 20 Israeli deaths, the asymmetry of air power shapes every dimension of this conflict — and the ceasefire remains, for now, only a word.
A ceasefire announced last month between Israel and Lebanon exists in official statements only. On Saturday, Israeli strikes killed thirty-nine people across Lebanon, continuing a pattern of escalation that has persisted since early March despite diplomatic declarations of peace.
The deadliest single strike hit Saksakiyeh in the south, killing seven people including a child and wounding fifteen others. The Israeli Defense Forces said it had targeted Hezbollah operatives inside a military structure, using precise munitions and aerial surveillance. But elsewhere that day, a drone struck a motorbike carrying a Syrian man and his twelve-year-old daughter — then struck again to kill the father, then struck a third time targeting the girl, who was rushed into emergency surgery. The sequence raises questions about intent that remain unanswered.
Over the past week, Israeli attacks have killed more than 120 people across Lebanon. Since the conflict intensified in early March — following the assassination of Iran's supreme leader and subsequent Iranian retaliation — the death toll has climbed to nearly 2,800. Israeli forces now occupy a strip of Lebanese territory roughly six miles wide, where entire villages have been destroyed. Human rights organizations have suggested some of these actions could constitute war crimes.
Hezbollah has not stood down, launching a drone attack on northern Israel on Saturday that wounded three soldiers. The two sides have traded fire consistently since President Trump announced a ceasefire deal on April sixteenth. The asymmetry in casualties — nearly 2,800 Lebanese dead against roughly twenty Israeli deaths — reflects the nature of a conflict in which one side holds overwhelming air power. The ceasefire that was supposed to end this cycle remains, for now, only words.
A ceasefire announced last month between Israel and Lebanon has become a name in official statements only. On the ground, the violence has not paused. On Saturday, Israeli strikes killed thirty-nine people across Lebanon, according to the country's health ministry, continuing a pattern of escalation that has persisted since early March despite diplomatic declarations of peace.
The deadliest single strike that day hit Saksakiyeh, a town in the south. Seven people died in that attack, among them a child. Fifteen others were wounded, three of them children. The Israeli Defense Forces said it had targeted Hezbollah operatives inside a structure used for military purposes, and that it had taken steps to reduce civilian harm—using precise munitions and aerial surveillance before the strike. The military added that details of the incident were still under review.
But the pattern of strikes that day tells a different story. In Nabatieh, another Israeli drone targeted a motorbike carrying a Syrian national and his twelve-year-old daughter. After the first strike, the drone attacked again, killing the father. Then it struck a third time, directly targeting the girl. She was rushed into emergency surgery. The Lebanese health ministry, which reported these details, does not distinguish between combatants and civilians in its casualty counts, but the specificity of this sequence—three separate strikes on the same target—raises questions about intent that remain unanswered.
Over the past week alone, Israeli attacks have killed more than one hundred twenty people across Lebanon. Since the conflict intensified in early March, following the assassination of Iran's supreme leader and subsequent Iranian retaliation, the death toll has climbed to nearly twenty-eight hundred. Israeli forces occupy a strip of Lebanese territory roughly six miles wide along the border, an area they say they are clearing to create a security zone free of Hezbollah. In that zone, entire villages have been destroyed. Human rights organizations have suggested that some of these actions could constitute war crimes.
Hezbollah has not ceased operations. The group launched a drone attack on northern Israel on Saturday, wounding three Israeli soldiers, one seriously. The organization says it is responding to continued Israeli strikes. The two sides have been trading fire consistently since President Trump announced a ceasefire deal on April sixteenth—a deal that has failed to stop the fighting.
The broader context is one of escalating cycles. Israel and Hezbollah agreed to a ceasefire in November 2024 after an earlier conflict. But in the months that followed, Israel carried out near-daily attacks on targets and people it said were linked to Hezbollah. Then, on February twenty-eighth, the United States and Israel attacked Iran, killing its supreme leader. Hezbollah responded four days later with rockets and drones. Israel answered with sustained bombardment of Lebanon and a ground incursion into the south that has not ended.
Israeli authorities report that seventeen soldiers and one civilian have been killed in southern Lebanon, along with two civilians in northern Israel. The asymmetry in the casualty figures—nearly twenty-eight hundred Lebanese dead against roughly twenty Israeli deaths—reflects the nature of the conflict: one side possesses overwhelming air power, the other does not. The ceasefire that was supposed to end this cycle remains, for now, only words.
Citações Notáveis
Prior to the strike, steps were taken to mitigate the risk of harm to civilians as much as possible, including the use of precise munitions and aerial surveillance— Israeli Defense Forces statement
After they managed to move away from the site of the first strike, the drone attacked a second time, then targeted the girl directly for a third time— Lebanese health ministry account of Nabatieh strike
A Conversa do Hearth Outra perspectiva sobre a história
How does a ceasefire announced in April still leave people dying in May?
Because the agreement was between governments, not between the forces actually fighting. Israel and Hezbollah never stopped. They just kept going while diplomats said they'd stopped.
But surely there's pressure to hold it?
There is, and there isn't. Each side says the other violated it first. Israel says it's targeting Hezbollah infrastructure. Hezbollah says it's responding to Israeli strikes. The ceasefire becomes a legal cover for continuing the war.
What about the civilians in places like Saksakiyeh?
They're caught between two claims that can't both be true. Israel says it took precautions, used precise weapons, surveilled the target. But a child died. A twelve-year-old girl was struck three times by the same drone. The precision and the precautions didn't save them.
Is anyone investigating whether this is intentional?
Human rights groups are documenting it. They're saying some actions could be war crimes. But investigation and accountability are slow. The strikes continue while the lawyers argue.
How long can this go on?
As long as neither side believes the other will stop first. Israel occupies Lebanese territory now. Hezbollah keeps firing. The ceasefire is just the name we give to the waiting period between rounds.