Guide recounts harrowing escape as Indonesian volcano kills three hikers

Three people killed: two Singaporean hikers and one Indonesian hiker crushed by volcanic rock during the eruption; several others injured and evacuated.
I feel like I want to kneel at the victims' parents' feet
Reza Selang, the guide who survived the eruption, describes the weight of guilt he carries for the three hikers killed.

Three hikers died when Mount Dukono erupted without warning; a guide narrowly escaped being crushed by a 2-meter rock that killed two hikers beside him. Authorities had banned climbing permits since April 17 and posted warnings, but the guide claims he was unaware of the prohibition when leading the expedition.

  • Three hikers killed: two Singaporeans (Timothy Heng and Shahin Muhrez bin Abdul Hamid) and one Indonesian (Angel Krishela Pradita)
  • Mount Dukono erupted twice in one minute on Friday, May 10; a 2-meter boulder crushed two hikers
  • Authorities banned climbing permits since April 17; guide claims he was unaware of the prohibition
  • Volcano had erupted over 200 times since late March; classified at level two alert status

A guide describes the harrowing moment Mount Dukono erupted, killing three hikers including two Singaporeans. The guide claims he was unaware of climbing prohibitions in place since April.

Reza Selang was standing partway up Mount Dukono on Friday morning when the mountain decided to kill. He had led twenty hikers—a mix of Singaporeans and Indonesians—up the volcano on Halmahera island in North Maluku, and everything had seemed fine. No smoke. No tremors. At 7:40 a.m., he sent his drone up to check on fourteen of the hikers who had continued to the crater while he stayed below. One minute later, the mountain erupted.

Two eruptions came in quick succession. The first released only smoke. Then, perhaps twenty seconds later, the second came—a violent release of volcanic material that scattered the group down the slope. Using his drone camera, Reza spotted one of the Singaporean hikers, Shahin Muhrez bin Abdul Hamid, lying on the ground near the crater. He climbed back up to help. Timothy Heng, the Singaporean who had organized the expedition, had also turned back to assist. The three men were descending together when the crater ejected a boulder roughly two meters wide. It came bouncing down the mountain toward them. Heng immediately wrapped his body around Shahin. The rock landed on both men and crushed them instantly.

Reza froze. For about a minute, he stood motionless. Then he ran. "There are no words," he told the BBC over the phone four days later, his voice still fractured. "Until now I still feel torn apart, I still can't believe it... right now I am deeply devastated." Three people died in the eruption: Heng, Shahin Muhrez, and Angel Krishela Pradita, an Indonesian hiker whose body was found near the summit the next day. The remaining hikers were evacuated and treated for injuries.

What makes this tragedy more complicated is what Reza claims he did not know. Indonesian authorities had prohibited climbing permits for Mount Dukono since April 17—nearly a month before the expedition. They had banned public access to any area within four kilometers of the crater. Warnings had been posted on social media and at trail entrances. The volcano had erupted more than two hundred times since late March. Yet Reza said he was unaware of all of this when he accepted the job from Heng last year. The local villagers he regularly employed to assist him said nothing about the prohibition either, he added.

When the group began hiking Thursday afternoon, there were no visible signs of danger. The morning of the eruption was calm. When Reza sent his drone to scout the crater before allowing the hikers to approach, he saw no smoke, no activity. He told the group they could go up as long as they came back down quickly. He knew the volcano was classified at level two on Indonesia's four-tier alert system—a designation that means clearly observable increased volcanic activity and a genuine threat of eruption. But he said he continued to climb Dukono almost every month because, in his understanding, other level-two mountains in Indonesia like Mount Rinjani still permitted hiking.

Now authorities are investigating. Police have questioned Reza and at least one other person associated with his tour company. They have hinted at "possible negligence by tourism operators or individuals." The drone footage Reza provided has been handed over as evidence. At this stage, both men are considered witnesses, but investigators are examining "the role of each individual in organising the dangerous climb." Mount Dukono has been permanently closed. Any future violations will face sanctions. Reza awaits the outcome of the investigation, uncertain what legal consequences may come. "Whatever legal consequences happen, I have to accept them, whether I'm ready or not," he said. "I just hope it ends quickly." But the weight of what happened is not something that will end quickly. "I feel very guilty toward the victims and their families," he said. "I feel like I want to go to Singapore and kneel at the victims' parents' feet. I want to apologise."

There are no words. Until now I still feel torn apart, I still can't believe it... right now I am deeply devastated.
— Reza Selang, the guide, speaking to the BBC
I feel very guilty toward the victims and their families... I feel like I want to go to Singapore and kneel at the victims' parents' feet.
— Reza Selang
The Hearth Conversation Another angle on the story
Inventor

You were standing right there when it happened. What does it feel like to survive something like that?

Model

I don't have words for it yet. I was maybe a second away from being crushed instead of them. That's not something you process in a few days.

Inventor

The authorities say they posted warnings. Did you really not see them?

Model

I didn't. The people who work with me didn't tell me. I check the mountain almost every month. If I'd known there was a real ban, I wouldn't have taken the job.

Inventor

But you knew it was level two. You knew that meant danger.

Model

Yes, I knew that. But level two mountains in Indonesia—other ones—they still allow climbing. I thought Dukono was the same. I was wrong.

Inventor

When you sent the drone up that morning and saw no smoke, no activity, did you feel safe?

Model

Completely. That's what makes this so hard. There was nothing. And then everything changed in one minute.

Inventor

What do you think about now?

Model

What-ifs. So many what-ifs. What if we hadn't climbed. What if I hadn't accepted the job. What if I'd checked the news more carefully. I keep thinking about their families in Singapore.

Inventor

Do you think you'll guide climbs again?

Model

I don't know. Right now I'm just waiting to see what the police decide. Whatever happens, I have to accept it.

Contact Us FAQ