They've done an amazing job rolling this out.
In the wake of court rulings striking down emergency trade levies, the American government opened a digital gateway for businesses to reclaim what they had paid — and the early returns reveal something enduring about the relationship between institutions and the people they serve. The CAPE portal has processed tens of thousands of claims with notable technical stability, yet roughly one in seven submissions has been turned away, not because the system is broken, but because the boundaries of eligibility are narrower than many applicants assumed. It is a familiar human story: the rules exist, the machinery runs, and the gap between expectation and reality must be crossed through learning.
- Over 75,000 refund requests flooded the new CAPE portal within days of its April 20 launch, signaling the enormous financial stakes businesses attach to recovering tariff payments struck down by courts.
- A 15% rejection rate has created anxiety among importers, with thousands of claims turned away before even reaching substantive review.
- CBP officials and legal experts are pushing back on alarm, insisting the rejections trace to applicants submitting claims outside the portal's defined eligibility scope — not to a flawed system.
- The portal itself has proven surprisingly resilient, suffering only an 18-minute pause at launch before running continuously, earning rare praise from attorneys who have watched federal IT projects fail before.
- As businesses absorb the eligibility rules and refine their submissions, the rejection rate is expected to fall — but the learning curve is costing some companies time and money they had hoped to recover quickly.
When the federal government opened its CAPE tariff refund portal on April 20, it faced an immediate flood of demand. Within days, more than 75,000 requests had arrived from American businesses and importers seeking to recover money paid under Trump-era emergency levies that courts had invalidated. By April 26, nearly 47,000 claims had cleared initial screening, representing roughly 11 million individual tariff payments — but about 15 percent of all submissions had been rejected.
According to CBP official Brandon Lord, the rejections reflect the portal's deliberately narrow first-phase scope. CAPE only processes refunds for tariffs CBP has already finalized, or for estimated duties that remain calculable under current rules. Crucially, it only covers levies imposed under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act — the specific legal authority the Trump administration had invoked. Those parameters are precise, and apparently easy to misread.
Nick Richards, a partner at Greenspoon Marder who has guided clients through the process, told CBS News that most rejections likely stem from honest mistakes — businesses submitting claims that fall outside the eligibility window because they misunderstood the rules or because their situations don't fit the defined categories. In his reading, the rejection rate signals a system working as designed, not one that is failing.
The portal's technical performance has drawn genuine admiration. Aside from an 18-minute pause on launch day to reconfigure infrastructure, CAPE has remained continuously available — a notable achievement for a federal agency rolling out new technology under court-ordered time pressure. Richards, who has watched government IT projects stumble before, said he was genuinely surprised by the speed and competence of the rollout.
What the early data suggests is a system that functions, even as some applicants are still learning its boundaries. As businesses refine their submissions and absorb the eligibility rules, the rejection rate may well decline — leaving behind a portrait of bureaucratic machinery that, for once, largely held.
When the federal government opened its new tariff refund portal on April 20, the machinery of bureaucracy faced its first real test. Within days, the Consolidated Administration and Processing of Entries system—known as CAPE—had fielded more than 75,000 requests from American businesses and importers seeking to recover money paid under Trump-era emergency levies that courts had struck down. By April 26, the numbers told a story of both volume and friction: nearly 47,000 claims made it through the initial screening, representing roughly 11 million individual tariff payments. But roughly 15 percent of all submissions landed in the rejection pile.
The rejections, according to CBP official Brandon Lord in a court filing this week, reflect the narrow scope of what CAPE will accept in its first phase. The portal is only processing refund requests for tariffs that CBP has already finalized, or for estimated duties that remain estimable under current rules. More restrictively, businesses can only seek refunds for levies imposed under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act—the legal authority the Trump administration had invoked. Those parameters matter. They are also, apparently, easy to miss.
Nick Richards, a partner at the law firm Greenspoon Marder who has guided clients through the refund process, told CBS News that many of the rejected claims likely stem from straightforward mistakes. Businesses are submitting applications that fall outside the eligibility window, either because they misunderstood the rules or because their tariff situation doesn't fit the defined categories. "There are parameters, and I would imagine some of the submissions are outside of that scope," Richards said. It's not a sign of a broken system, in other words. It's a sign that the system is working as designed—and that some applicants haven't yet learned its boundaries.
The portal itself has held up remarkably well. When CAPE launched last week, there was an 18-minute window on April 20 when CBP paused submissions to reconfigure its infrastructure and optimize how it processed incoming declarations. That was the only downtime. Since then, the system has remained available. For a federal agency rolling out a new portal under time pressure and public scrutiny, the stability is noteworthy. Richards, who has watched government IT projects stumble before, expressed genuine surprise at the speed and competence of the rollout. "I was amazed at the speed with which Customs put up this portal, so kudos to them," he said. "They've done an amazing job rolling this out."
What emerges from the early data is a portrait of a system that is functioning, even if imperfectly. The 15 percent rejection rate, while real, appears to reflect the gap between what businesses think they can claim and what the law actually allows them to claim. As more companies learn the rules and refine their submissions, that rejection rate may well decline. The portal was built to comply with a court order invalidating emergency tariffs. It is processing claims at scale. And despite the inevitable friction of a new process, it is staying online.
Citações Notáveis
There are parameters, and I would imagine some of the submissions are outside of that scope.— Nick Richards, Greenspoon Marder law firm
I was amazed at the speed with which Customs put up this portal. They've done an amazing job rolling this out.— Nick Richards, Greenspoon Marder law firm
A Conversa do Hearth Outra perspectiva sobre a história
Why would a business submit a tariff refund claim that doesn't qualify? Seems like they'd read the rules first.
You'd think so. But when you're a mid-sized importer with dozens of tariff line items and a compliance team working fast, the rules can blur. CAPE only accepts certain types of tariffs under certain legal authorities. If your tariff was imposed under a different statute, or if CBP hasn't finalized it yet, you're out of luck. Many companies probably didn't realize that distinction until they hit submit.
So the 15 percent rejection rate isn't a failure of the portal itself.
Not at all. It's almost a feature. The portal is enforcing the boundaries of what the court order allows. If anything, it's doing its job.
What about the businesses that did get approved? What happens next?
They're in the queue. CBP has to verify the claims, confirm the tariff payments were actually made, and then process the refunds. That's the next phase. The portal is just the front door.
And the 18-minute outage on day one—was that a big deal?
In government IT terms? No. That's a scheduled pause to optimize the system. It shows they were monitoring performance and willing to make adjustments. For a portal handling 75,000 requests in a week, that's restraint.