We are playing catch-up against a very dangerous pathogen.
118 confirmed deaths and 300 suspected cases reported in eastern DRC provinces; rare Bundibugyo strain detected after initial misdiagnosis delayed response by weeks. American doctor among newly confirmed cases; WHO sending expert teams despite budget constraints from US defunding and staff cuts announced in March 2025.
- 118 confirmed deaths and 300 suspected cases in eastern DRC as of mid-May 2026
- Bundibugyo strain—only the third detection since 1976—initially misdiagnosed, delaying response by weeks
- American doctor Peter Stafford among confirmed cases; seven US citizens being transported to Germany
- 273,000 displaced persons in Ituri province; region already affected by armed conflict
- WHO operating under budget constraints after US withdrawal in January 2025 and subsequent staff cuts
Democratic Republic of Congo opens treatment centres as Bundibugyo Ebola outbreak kills 110+ people. WHO declares public health emergency while facing funding cuts after US withdrawal.
In the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, health officials are racing to contain an outbreak of a virus that has already claimed more than 110 lives and left hundreds more suspected of infection. The government has begun opening three treatment centres in Ituri province, a remote region more than a thousand kilometres from the capital, as the World Health Organization dispatches teams of experts to assist. The outbreak involves Bundibugyo, a rare strain of Ebola that has surfaced only twice before in recorded history, and it has arrived at a moment when the global health apparatus is weakened by funding cuts and political withdrawal.
The first death occurred on April 24 in the city of Bunia. When the body was transported to a mining area called Mongbwalu, the virus spread rapidly through a population already vulnerable and dispersed. By May 5, the WHO had learned of roughly fifty deaths in that zone, including four health workers. Yet the response was delayed by a critical mistake: initial samples were tested for Zaire, the more common Ebola strain. The tests came back negative. It took until May 14 for the first case to be confirmed, and another day to identify the virus as Bundibugyo. Those lost weeks, experts say, allowed the outbreak to gain ground undetected. As of mid-May, at least 118 deaths had been confirmed, with 300 suspected cases across Ituri and North Kivu provinces, and spillover into Uganda.
The WHO declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern on Sunday. The organization itself is operating under severe constraints. In January 2025, the Trump administration signed an executive order giving twelve months' notice of withdrawal from the WHO and halting all American financial contributions. Two months later, the WHO announced staff cuts and cost-saving measures. The very surveillance systems designed to catch emerging viruses early have been compromised by these reductions. Matthew Kavanagh, director of the Georgetown University Center for Global Health Policy and Politics, said the delayed diagnosis reflected a surveillance system that had been starved of resources. "We are playing catch-up against a very dangerous pathogen," he said.
An American doctor working in Bunia has tested positive for the virus. Peter Stafford, who was treating patients at a hospital there, developed symptoms and was confirmed as infected. His wife and three other colleagues from his organization, Serge, were working at the same facility but have not shown symptoms. Seven Americans in total, including Stafford, are being transported to Germany for monitoring. The US Centers for Disease Control has advised Americans to avoid travel to the affected regions and has issued a thirty-day ban on entry for foreign nationals who have visited the DRC, Uganda, and South Sudan in the previous three weeks.
The geography and politics of eastern Congo compound the crisis. Mongbwalu sits in a remote area with poor roads and limited infrastructure. The region has been wracked by armed conflict for years; dozens have been killed and thousands displaced by militia violence in the past year alone. The UN estimates that more than 273,000 people are currently displaced in Ituri. UN staff have been instructed to work from home and avoid crowded spaces. Rwanda closed its border with the DRC on Sunday. Uganda has heightened surveillance along its frontier but says there is no evidence of spread within its own territory.
Ebola spreads through bodily fluids—blood, vomit, semen. It is highly contagious and often fatal. The Bundibugyo strain causes fever, headache, muscle pain, weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain, and unexplained bleeding. There are no approved vaccines or medicines. Craig Spencer, an epidemiologist at Brown University who survived Ebola after contracting it in Guinea more than a decade ago, expects the case count to rise sharply as surveillance improves and health workers identify cases that have gone unrecorded. "Ebola is very much a disease of compassion," he said, "in that it impacts the people who are more likely to be taking care of sick folks." The Africa CDC chief told reporters he was in "panic mode" over the shortage of medicines and vaccines, though some candidate treatments are expected in coming weeks.
The outbreak has exposed the fragility of global health infrastructure at a moment of geopolitical fracture. The WHO director-general, speaking at the World Health Assembly in Geneva, acknowledged the organization's internal restructuring following funding cuts and called for reshaping the global health architecture to reduce donor dependency. He framed the challenge as one of equity: ensuring that the highest attainable standard of health becomes a right for all, not a luxury for some. But in Bunia and Mongbwalu, where the virus is spreading through displaced populations in a conflict zone, those principles remain distant. The coming weeks will determine whether the outbreak can be contained or whether the combination of delayed diagnosis, resource scarcity, and geographic isolation allows it to spread further.
Notable Quotes
Because early tests looked for the wrong strain of Ebola, we got false negatives and lost weeks of response time. We are playing catch-up against a very dangerous pathogen.— Matthew M Kavanagh, director of the Georgetown University Center for Global Health Policy and Politics
Ebola is very much a disease of compassion in that it impacts the people who are more likely to be taking care of sick folks. I suspect that the number of cases is going to go up pretty dramatically in the coming weeks.— Craig Spencer, epidemiologist at Brown University School of Public Health
The Hearth Conversation Another angle on the story
Why did it take so long to identify the virus if people were dying in late April?
The first samples were tested for the wrong strain. They came back negative, so officials didn't realize what they were dealing with. By the time they tested for Bundibugyo, weeks had passed and the virus had already moved through a mining community.
And the American doctor—was he there as part of a response effort?
No, he was already working there as a physician. He was treating patients when he got sick. His wife and colleagues were exposed too, though they haven't shown symptoms yet.
The article mentions the WHO is underfunded. How does that connect to this outbreak?
The surveillance systems that catch viruses early have been cut. The US withdrew from the WHO and stopped funding. So when cases started appearing, the organization had fewer resources to respond quickly. The expert teams they're sending now are working with less capacity than they would have had a year ago.
Is this a particularly dangerous strain of Ebola?
It's rare. This is only the third time Bundibugyo has been detected since 1976. We don't know as much about it as we do about Zaire, the more common type. And there are no approved vaccines or medicines for any Ebola strain.
What makes the location so difficult?
Mongbwalu is remote, over a thousand kilometres from the capital, with poor roads. The region is already dealing with armed conflict and displacement. There are 273,000 displaced people in Ituri. That means crowded conditions, limited healthcare infrastructure, and populations that are already vulnerable.
Do experts think this will get worse?
Yes. They expect the case count to rise as surveillance improves and they find cases that went unrecorded. One epidemiologist who survived Ebola said he suspects "a lot more cases and probably a lot more deaths than we recognised."