Trump rejects Iran's latest peace proposal as diplomatic deadlock persists

War beginning February 28 has caused thousands of deaths; closure of Strait of Hormuz disrupts global energy supplies affecting civilian populations worldwide.
They want to make a deal, but I'm not satisfied
Trump rejected Iran's negotiating proposal as insufficient, signaling that military options remain on the table.

In the shadow of a fragile ceasefire and a world economy straining under the weight of blocked oil lanes, Donald Trump and Iran's leadership find themselves caught between the ancient imperatives of sovereignty and survival. Since February 28, when American and Israeli strikes ignited a war that has claimed thousands of lives and shuttered the Strait of Hormuz, both sides have spoken the language of diplomacy while keeping one hand on the machinery of war. The rejection of Iran's latest proposal is not merely a diplomatic setback — it is a reminder that the distance between a ceasefire and peace is often the longest journey of all.

  • Trump publicly dismissed Iran's negotiating proposal as insufficient, declaring he cannot agree to their terms while leaving the door open to renewed military strikes.
  • Iran's foreign minister signaled willingness to talk but warned that Washington's 'excessive approach' makes diplomacy nearly impossible, even as Iranian air defenses were quietly activated.
  • The Strait of Hormuz remains closed, strangling roughly a fifth of global oil and gas supplies and keeping prices above $100 a barrel, with markets lurching on every diplomatic signal.
  • Pakistan's mediation efforts continue through phone negotiations, but both sides are simultaneously war-gaming scenarios in which talks collapse and fighting resumes.
  • A legal battle over the War Powers Resolution has opened a second front in Washington, with the administration and Congress disputing whether Trump needs approval to restart military operations.
  • China has entered the diplomatic frame, with Beijing's UN ambassador pressing to reopen the Strait and flagging it as a priority for Trump's upcoming visit — a sign that the conflict's gravity now pulls at every major power.

Donald Trump, departing for Florida, told reporters plainly that Iran's latest negotiating proposal fell short. 'They want to make a deal, but I'm not satisfied with it,' he said, describing Tehran's leadership as fractured. The announcement came just hours after Iranian state media and Pakistani officials had signaled a new Iranian position — news that had briefly lifted oil markets already trading above $100 a barrel.

The war began on February 28 when the United States and Israel struck Iran, killing thousands and triggering Iran's closure of the Strait of Hormuz — a chokepoint carrying roughly a fifth of the world's oil and gas. A ceasefire took hold on April 8, but it has remained precarious, and the latest diplomatic impasse has made it more so. Trump acknowledged Pakistan's mediation role and said talks were continuing by phone, yet his words carried little optimism. Asked whether he preferred a deal or military action, he said he preferred not to resume bombing 'on a human basis' — but stopped well short of ruling it out.

Iran's foreign minister Abbas Araghchi responded by insisting diplomacy remained possible, provided Washington abandoned what he called its 'excessive approach, threatening rhetoric and provocative actions.' In the same statement, he noted that Iran's armed forces remained combat-ready. Both sides, in other words, were negotiating with one eye on the battlefield. Iranian sources told Reuters that Tehran had activated air defenses and was preparing for a short but intense American strike, potentially followed by Israeli action. Washington, meanwhile, was reportedly drafting new strike plans intended to pressure Iran into accepting American terms — plans whose leak had already pushed oil to a four-year high.

At the core of the deadlock lies the nuclear question. Iran insists on its right to enrich uranium; the United States and its allies see enrichment as a path to a weapon Trump has vowed Iran will never possess. A separate legal dispute has emerged in Washington over whether the War Powers Resolution's 60-day clock — paused during the ceasefire, according to Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth — requires Trump to seek congressional approval before resuming operations.

China's UN ambassador called urgently for the ceasefire to hold and the Strait to reopen, flagging the waterway as a likely topic when Trump visits Beijing later in the month. The conflict's reach has extended into unlikely corners: even Riyadh's sole licensed alcohol shop, opened in 2024 to serve diplomats and foreign residents, has run short of supplies as war-related disruptions delay shipments — a small but telling measure of how far the war's consequences now travel.

Donald Trump stood at the White House threshold on his way to Florida and delivered a blunt assessment: Iran's latest proposal for ending the war wasn't good enough. "They want to make a deal, but I'm not satisfied with it," he told reporters, describing the Iranian leadership as fractured and internally divided. The rejection came hours after Iranian state media and Pakistani officials announced that Tehran had tabled a new negotiating position—news that had briefly lifted global oil prices, which have been hovering above $100 a barrel since the conflict began.

The war itself ignited on February 28 when the United States and Israel launched strikes against Iran. The fighting has killed thousands. More consequential for the global economy, Iran's closure of the Strait of Hormuz has choked off roughly a fifth of the world's oil and gas supplies, rippling through energy markets and raising fears of broader economic damage. A ceasefire took hold on April 8, but it remains fragile, contingent on negotiations that are now visibly stalling.

Trump acknowledged Pakistan's role as mediator and said phone negotiations were continuing. Yet his language suggested skepticism about whether a deal was achievable. "They've made strides, but I'm not sure if they ever get there," he said. "They're asking for things that I can't agree to." When asked whether he preferred military action or a negotiated settlement, Trump offered a measured response: "On a human basis, I prefer not" to resume bombing. But the option remained open, and the threat of it hung over the talks.

Iran's foreign minister Abbas Araghchi responded by signaling Tehran's willingness to pursue diplomacy—but only if Washington shifted course. He accused the United States of maintaining an "excessive approach, threatening rhetoric and provocative actions." In the same breath, he reminded the world that Iran's armed forces stood ready to defend the country. This dual messaging reflected the reality on the ground: both sides were preparing for the possibility that negotiations would fail and fighting would resume.

The military preparations were concrete. Iranian sources told Reuters that Tehran had activated air defenses and was planning a broad response if attacked, expecting a short but intense American strike possibly followed by Israeli action. The Trump administration, meanwhile, was reportedly briefing plans for new military strikes designed to pressure Iran into accepting American terms. Reports of those plans had sent oil prices to a four-year high earlier in the week.

The legal and diplomatic landscape added another layer of complexity. The Trump administration argued that the ceasefire had "terminated" hostilities for purposes of the War Powers Resolution, a legal deadline that had arrived. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth countered that the 60-day clock required by the resolution was paused, not stopped, during the ceasefire. The distinction mattered because it determined whether Trump needed congressional approval to resume military operations.

At the heart of the stalemate lay a fundamental disagreement over nuclear enrichment. Iran has long insisted that the United States acknowledge its right to enrich uranium for what Tehran claims are peaceful purposes. Western powers view uranium enrichment as a pathway to nuclear weapons. Trump has been unequivocal: Iran will not be allowed to develop a nuclear weapon. He has also made clear that he expects oil prices to drop sharply once the war ends—a political priority before the November midterm elections.

China's UN ambassador Fu Cong weighed in, calling it urgent to maintain the ceasefire and reopen the Strait of Hormuz. He suggested the waterway would be a priority topic when Trump visits China later in the month. Meanwhile, the economic toll of the conflict was visible in unexpected places. Saudi Arabia's only licensed alcohol shop, situated in Riyadh's diplomatic quarter and opened in 2024 to serve non-Muslim diplomats and wealthy foreign residents, had run short of supplies as war-related disruptions delayed shipments. The war's reach extended into the smallest corners of the region's commerce.

They want to make a deal, but I'm not satisfied with it. They're asking for things that I can't agree to.
— Donald Trump
Iran is ready to pursue diplomacy if the US changes its excessive approach, threatening rhetoric and provocative actions.
— Abbas Araghchi, Iran's foreign minister
The Hearth Conversation Another angle on the story
Inventor

Why does Trump keep saying he prefers not to bomb Iran, but then keeps the threat alive?

Model

Because he's trying to use military pressure as leverage in negotiations. If he takes the threat off the table entirely, Iran has no reason to move. But if he keeps saying "I'd rather not," it signals he's open to a deal—which might make Iran more willing to negotiate seriously.

Inventor

What's actually stopping them from reaching an agreement?

Model

The uranium enrichment issue. Iran wants the US to recognize its right to enrich uranium. Trump won't do that because he sees it as a path to nuclear weapons. Neither side can move on that without losing face domestically.

Inventor

How much does the oil price matter to Trump personally?

Model

It matters enormously. Gas prices affect how Americans vote, and Trump needs a win before the midterms. A quick end to the war with oil prices dropping would be a political victory he could point to.

Inventor

Is the ceasefire actually holding, or is it just a pause before fighting resumes?

Model

It's holding technically, but both sides are preparing for the possibility it breaks. Iran has activated air defenses. The US is planning new strikes. It's a ceasefire in name, but everyone's ready for the next round.

Inventor

What does Pakistan's role actually accomplish here?

Model

Pakistan has relationships with both sides and can communicate without the baggage of direct US-Iran hostility. But mediation only works if both parties genuinely want a deal. Right now, Trump doesn't think Iran's offer is serious.

Inventor

If negotiations fail, what happens to the global economy?

Model

The Strait of Hormuz stays closed, 20 percent of global oil and gas supplies stay blocked, and prices stay elevated. That affects everything from heating bills to shipping costs to inflation. It's not just a Middle East problem anymore.

Contact Us FAQ