Iran says 'ball in US court' after Trump rejects new proposal on Hormuz

The ongoing conflict has caused thousands of deaths and created the largest disruption to global energy supplies in history, affecting economies worldwide.
The ball is in the United States' court to choose diplomacy or confrontation
Iran's deputy foreign minister signals that Tehran has made its move; Washington must now decide whether to negotiate or resume military action.

Iran proposed shelving nuclear talks to focus first on reopening shipping and lifting blockades, a significant concession rejected by Trump who demands nuclear guarantees upfront. Trump faces domestic pressure over oil prices and Hormuz blockade affecting 20% of global supplies, complicating his negotiating position ahead of midterm elections.

  • Iran proposed shelving nuclear talks to first reopen the Strait of Hormuz and lift blockades
  • Trump rejected the proposal, demanding nuclear guarantees upfront
  • The Hormuz blockade has cut off approximately 20% of global oil and gas supplies
  • Four-week ceasefire has not produced a deal; thousands have been killed in the conflict
  • U.S. midterm elections in November create domestic pressure on Trump over gasoline prices

Iran says the US must choose between diplomacy or continued conflict after Trump rejected Tehran's proposal to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and end blockades before addressing nuclear issues. Tehran claims readiness for either negotiated settlement or renewed warfare.

The Strait of Hormuz remains closed. For more than two months, Iran has allowed almost no shipping through the waterway except its own vessels. Last month, the United States imposed a matching blockade on Iranian ports. Four weeks ago, the bombing stopped—a ceasefire that neither side seems confident will hold. On Saturday, Iran's deputy foreign minister Kazem Gharibabadi stood before diplomats in Tehran and delivered a message that was part ultimatum, part warning: the choice now belonged to Washington. Either pursue a negotiated settlement, he said, or prepare for war to resume. Iran was ready for either.

The proposal Iran had just submitted to the Trump administration represented a significant shift in Tehran's negotiating position, according to a senior Iranian official who spoke on condition of anonymity. Instead of insisting that nuclear issues be resolved before anything else, Iran was now willing to table those conversations entirely—at least for now. The immediate goal would be simpler: reopen the Strait of Hormuz, lift the American blockade, and secure a guarantee that neither Israel nor the United States would attack again. Only after those pieces were in place would talks begin on Iran's nuclear program, with Tehran demanding recognition of its right to enrich uranium for peaceful purposes, even if it agreed to suspend the activity.

Trump had already rejected this proposal. On Friday, he told reporters at the White House that he was "not satisfied" with what Iran had offered. When asked whether he preferred to "blast the hell out of them and finish them forever" or try to make a deal, Trump suggested he was still weighing both options. Later that day, speaking in Florida, he added another condition: the United States would not end the confrontation early only to face the same problem again in three years. The implication was clear—any agreement would need to be durable, and Trump did not believe Iran's latest offer provided that durability.

What Trump faces, however, is pressure that extends beyond the negotiating table. The blockade of Hormuz has choked off roughly one-fifth of the world's oil and gas supplies. American gasoline prices have risen as a result. In November, the country will hold midterm congressional elections, and Trump's Republican Party risks a voter backlash over those higher prices. Trump has said repeatedly that he is in no hurry to reach a deal, but the calendar and the pump are working against him.

The war itself has already exacted a staggering cost. Thousands of people have been killed. Global energy markets have been roiled. Economists have begun warning of the possibility of a wider global economic downturn. The United States and Israel suspended their bombing campaign four weeks ago, but that pause has not brought the two sides closer to an agreement. Washington has consistently stated it will not end the war without a deal that prevents Iran from ever obtaining a nuclear weapon—the primary reason Trump launched strikes in February while nuclear talks were still underway. Iran maintains that its nuclear program is entirely peaceful.

The Iranian official who described the new proposal said Tehran believed moving nuclear discussions to a later stage was a meaningful concession designed to create "a more conducive atmosphere" for reaching an agreement. The framework would allow both sides to address the immediate crisis—the blockade, the shipping, the economic damage—before tackling the harder, more ideological question of Iran's nuclear ambitions. It was, in essence, an attempt to break the deadlock by breaking the problem into smaller pieces.

But Trump's rejection suggests he sees the pieces differently. He appears unwilling to separate the nuclear question from everything else, fearing that doing so would leave the fundamental issue unresolved and the conflict vulnerable to reignition. Iran, for its part, has now made its position public: the next move belongs to the United States. Diplomacy or war. The choice, Tehran says, is no longer in Iranian hands.

Now the ball is in the United States' court to choose the path of diplomacy or the continuation of a confrontational approach. Iran, with the aim of securing its national interests and security, is prepared for both paths.
— Kazem Gharibabadi, Iran's deputy foreign minister
The United States would not end its confrontation with Iran early and then have the problem arise in three more years.
— President Donald Trump
The Hearth Conversation Another angle on the story
Inventor

Why would Iran offer to delay nuclear talks? That seems like giving something away.

Model

It's actually a calculation about what's achievable right now. Iran is saying: let's fix the immediate crisis first—the blockade, the shipping, the economic bleeding—and then we can have the harder conversation about uranium enrichment when there's less pressure and more trust.

Inventor

But Trump rejected it. Why would he do that if Iran is offering a concession?

Model

Because Trump sees it as a trap. If you lift the blockade and end the war first, what leverage do you have left to force Iran to accept nuclear restrictions later? Iran could simply say the crisis is over and walk away from those talks.

Inventor

So both sides think the other is trying to cheat them.

Model

Exactly. Iran thinks if they address the immediate problem, the U.S. will negotiate in good faith on nuclear issues. Trump thinks Iran will pocket the gains and never seriously limit its nuclear program. Neither side trusts the other enough to go first.

Inventor

What happens if talks stay frozen?

Model

The ceasefire was only four weeks old. If negotiations collapse, the bombing resumes. And this time, the global economy is already fragile from the disruption to oil supplies. A restart could be far more damaging than the initial conflict.

Inventor

Is there any way out of this?

Model

Only if one side decides the cost of continued war is higher than the risk of trusting the other. Right now, neither seems to have reached that point.

Contact Us FAQ