This is trap for us, not aid.
In the long and sorrowful history of war's intersection with human need, Sunday morning in Gaza offered another grim chapter: at least twelve Palestinians were killed by Israeli military fire as they moved toward aid distribution points — places they had been told were safe, places they had come to simply to eat. The deaths, which brought the toll near these sites to over eighty in just two weeks, expose the terrible paradox of humanitarian corridors that exist within active combat zones, where the promise of food and the presence of lethal force occupy the same coordinates. What remains unresolved — and perhaps unresolvable without independent witnesses — is whether these killings reflect a breakdown in coordination, a failure of communication, or something more deliberate in its design.
- At least twelve Palestinians were shot dead near food distribution hubs on a single Sunday morning, with over eighty killed at these same sites in the preceding two weeks alone.
- Survivors describe arriving before dawn to beat the crowds, only to be met with tank fire at the exact hour they had been told the site would open — one man calling it 'a trap, not aid.'
- Israel's military insists its forces fired warning shots at unidentified suspects in an active combat zone and observed no casualties, while the aid group running the sites says all three operated without incident that day.
- With no independent journalists or observers permitted inside Israeli-controlled distribution zones, there is no neutral record of what happened — leaving every account unverifiable and every death unwitnessed by the outside world.
- The aid group has begun piloting direct community deliveries north of Rafah, a quiet acknowledgment that the centralized model is failing the very people it was built to serve.
On a Sunday morning in early June, at least twelve Palestinians were killed by Israeli military fire near aid distribution points across the Gaza Strip. The dead and wounded were brought to hospitals in Khan Younis and central Gaza within hours, the latest casualties in a pattern that has made the act of seeking food in Gaza a potentially fatal one. In just the past two weeks, more than eighty people have been killed near these same sites. On this single day, one hundred and eight bodies arrived at hospitals across the territory.
The distribution hubs are run by the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, a group backed by Israel and the United States, and have become the primary means by which thousands of exhausted Palestinians — now into their twentieth month of war — access food. Near a roundabout in Rafah, witnesses say Israeli forces opened fire around six in the morning, precisely when residents had been told the site would open. Many had come early to avoid the crowds. Eleven of the dead were taken to Nasser Hospital; a separate incident near another hub left one dead and twenty-nine wounded at Al-Awda Hospital.
Israel's military said its forces fired warning shots at 'suspects' who approached despite being warned away, describing the area as an active combat zone and saying it observed no casualties. The Gaza Humanitarian Foundation stated that no violence occurred at or near any of its three sites that day.
But those who were there described something else entirely. Adham Dahman, thirty years old and treated at Nasser Hospital, said a tank fired into the crowd. 'We didn't know how to escape,' he said. 'This is a trap for us, not aid.' Another witness described watching a man shot in the head beside him before fleeing with others to the hospital. 'They said it was a safe area from 6am until 6pm,' he said. 'So why did they start shooting at us?'
The question may never be answered with certainty. Independent journalists and observers have no access to these Israeli-controlled zones, leaving no neutral record of what unfolds there. The aid group has quietly begun piloting direct deliveries to communities north of Rafah — a shift that suggests awareness of the dangers the centralized model has created. Yet for now, thousands of Palestinians remain caught between the only food available to them and the violence that has come to surround it.
On a Sunday morning in early June, at least twelve Palestinians were killed by Israeli military fire as they approached aid distribution points across the Gaza Strip. The dead and wounded arrived at hospitals in Khan Younis and central Gaza within hours of each other, their injuries and deaths marking the latest chapter in a pattern of violence that has shadowed the territory's desperate attempt to feed itself.
The shooting happened near sites operated by the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, a group backed by Israel and the United States. These distribution hubs have become the primary way thousands of Palestinians—exhausted after twenty months of war—access food. But they have also become sites of recurring gunfire. In just the past two weeks, more than eighty people have been killed near these same locations, according to hospital officials in Gaza. On the day in question, one hundred and eight bodies were brought to hospitals across the territory within a single twenty-four-hour period.
The sequence of events that Sunday morning reveals the confusion and danger that surrounds these aid operations. Witnesses said Israeli forces opened fire near a roundabout roughly half a mile from the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation site in Rafah, in the southern part of the territory. The shooting began around six in the morning, the time residents had been told the distribution point would open. Many had arrived early, hoping to collect food before the crowds arrived. Eleven of the dead were taken to Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis. Al-Awda Hospital, serving central Gaza, received one body and treated twenty-nine wounded from a separate incident near another distribution site.
Israel's military offered a different account. It said its forces had fired warning shots at people it described as "suspects" who approached despite being warned to turn back. The military characterized the area as an active combat zone at night and said it did not observe any casualties from the shooting around 6:40 in the morning. The Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, for its part, stated that no violence occurred at or near any of its three distribution sites that day, all of which operated normally. The group had temporarily closed the sites the previous week to discuss safety protocols with Israeli military officials and had instructed people to use only designated access routes.
But the witnesses who were there told a different story. Adham Dahman, thirty years old, was treated at Nasser Hospital with a bandage on his chin. He said a tank had fired on the crowd. "We didn't know how to escape," he said. "This is trap for us, not aid." Another witness, Zahed Ben Hassan, described seeing someone shot in the head beside him. He and others pulled the body away and fled to the hospital. "They said it was a safe area from 6am until 6pm," he said. "So why did they start shooting at us? There was light out, and they have their cameras and can clearly see us."
The aid distribution hubs themselves operate inside Israeli military zones where independent journalists and observers have no access. This means there is no neutral documentation of what happens at these sites, no way for outside parties to verify claims made by any side. The Gaza Humanitarian Foundation has begun piloting direct delivery of aid to communities north of Rafah, a shift that suggests awareness of the dangers that surround the centralized distribution model. Yet thousands of Palestinians remain dependent on these hubs for food, caught between the promise of aid and the risk of violence that has come to define their approach to it.
Notable Quotes
We didn't know how to escape. This is trap for us, not aid.— Adham Dahman, 30, wounded at the scene
They said it was a safe area from 6am until 6pm. So why did they start shooting at us? There was light out, and they have their cameras and can clearly see us.— Zahed Ben Hassan, witness
The Hearth Conversation Another angle on the story
Why are these aid distribution points so dangerous if they're supposed to be safe zones?
Because they're located inside Israeli military zones where combat is still active. The military says it's firing warning shots at people it considers threats, but the people arriving are just hungry—they don't know how to distinguish between a warning and an actual attack.
So there's a coordination problem between the aid organization and the military?
More than that. The Gaza Humanitarian Foundation says the sites are safe and that it coordinates with the military on safety measures. But the military operates in the same space with different rules of engagement. And no one from outside can see what's actually happening there.
What about the timing issue the witness mentioned—being told it was safe from 6am to 6pm?
That's the trap people are describing. They arrive early to beat the crowds, thinking they're following instructions. But the military is operating on its own schedule and threat assessment. A person running toward food looks the same as a person running toward soldiers.
Is there any way to make this safer?
The aid group is trying direct delivery now, which removes the gathering point entirely. But that's slower and reaches fewer people. The real problem is that you can't run a humanitarian operation inside an active military zone without independent oversight. Right now, there's no one watching to make sure both sides are following the same rules.
And in the meantime, people keep dying?
Yes. Eighty in two weeks near these sites alone. A hundred and eight bodies in one day across all of Gaza. The aid is meant to save lives, but the way it's being distributed is costing them.